Air Fryer Homemade Crispy Curly Fries
Ultimate recipe for crispy, fresh, air fryer homemade curly fries is right here. Made with fresh spiralized potatoes, these will be the perfect side dish for the french fry lovers in your house!
Here, I show you how to make the ultimate crispy homemade curly fries in your air fryer. These come out so much like shoestring fries!
Layering Food In The Air Fryer
One of my biggest frustrations with the air fryer is that, despite the baskets large overall volume capacity, in order for certain foods to crisp properly, they need to be cooked in a single layer.
Since the surface area of the basket is small, that means you end up making a lot of batches, taking away from the air fryers quicker cook time.
To determine whether or not you could fit more fries into the air fryer at once, I tested a few different methods. Here is what I found:
- Single Layer of Potatoes. Cooking just one layer of potatoes at a time resulted in the best, crispiest fries. The downside was that I needed to make at least 4 batches, which extended the recipes total time.
- Double Layer of Potatoes. My next test was to see if I could stack the potatoes in two layers. I was pleasantly surprised to discover that the double-layer fries, while not *as* crisp as the ones I cooked in a single layer, were still delightfully crispy and very satisfying. This approach also cut my number of batches in half.
- Three Layers or More. When I stacked the potatoes in three layers or more, they were noticeably less crisp and representative of fried fries. I would not recommend this method.
Ultimately the number of layers of fries you air fry at once depends upon how picky you are about the fries being maximally crispy and how much time you have for multiple batches.
For us, the double layer was the perfect balance between crispiness and faster recipe time.
Try Them With Some Of My Favorite Dipping Sauces
Perfectly crispy and easy Air Fryer French Fries are always a hit. Enjoy all the taste of fried taters without the added fat and calories.
- Beth Pierce
- Total Time:35 minutes plus soaking time
- Yield:4 servings 1x
- 23 medium Russet Potatoes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil or olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 pinches cayenne pepper
Also Check: Jcpenney Air Fryer Sale
How To Make French Fries In An Air Fryer
With just a fraction of the oil, these are the ideal for anyone trying to eat healthier without sacrificing flavor! Give your loved ones the taste they love thats also good for them.
Crunchalicious How To Make Perfect Air Fryer Home Fries
Learn how to make air fryer home fries. My son gets sick from palm oil which makes it difficult to order fries in restaurants. Restaurants often use frozen French fries that typically contain palm oil as a preservative. The exception is if they make them from whole potatoes on site. If you see them cutting the potatoes, chances are, they are palm oil free.
Depending on the brand, frozen fries in grocery stores sometimes contain palm oil as well. Read labels. Even if the frozen fries dont contain it, they contain a long list of ingredients.
If you have an air fryer, you can make fries easily with this recipe. Since avoiding palm oil, Ive learned to make most foods from scratch. Fries are one of our favorites.
Recommended Reading: Fold Up Air Fryer
Prepping The Potatoes For Crispy Homemade French Fries
The first thing is to use large Russet Potatoes to make fresh French Fries. I used 2 potatoes, washed them well and sliced them into medium strips evenly. Peeling potatoes or not is a personal choice. I have tried both ways and it works well.
Now soak the potatoes in water for about 15 minutes. This helps remove some of the starch content and get crispy fries. That said, if you don’t have enough time, you can skip this step. I tried without soaking and the result was still very good. I think the Air Fryers do a good job of crisping the fries either way!
Pat dry the sliced potatoes with a paper towel. Now season the potatoes. I like to add salt, pepper and garlic powder to my fries. Add some olive oil or another oil of your choice. This helps the seasoning stick to the fries. Toss well to coat the potatoes with the seasoning.
Cooking Tips For Air Fryer Curly Fries:
- You don’t want to pile these too high, but you don’t need to have a single layer. For ultimate crispiness you want to make sure the air can circulate around the fries well. Depending on your air fryer capacity, you may need to do multiple batches.
- You want to use tongs and toss them a few times while they cook – this is because you probably won’t have a single layer, and you want to expose the taters to the air as best you can.
- Cook time may vary a bit depending on the type of air fryer you have. I have the Instant Vortex and the cook time is what I do in this oven style fryer.
Don’t Miss: Gourmia – 4.5qt Hot Air Fryer – Black/silver
Air Fryer French Fries Recipe
Crispy and crunchy homemade air fryer French fries. With just a few basic ingredients you can have French fries ready without the mess and grease of classic fried ones.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
How To Store And Reheat Leftovers
Its important to note that fries have a relatively short shelf life, so dont try to make extra batches ahead. Instead, make as many as you think youll need, plus a tiny bit extra in case someones extra hungry . From there, store the fries within 2 hours of cooking them.
- To refrigerate, pop the fries into airtight food storage containers or bags, with a clean paper towel to absorb any moisture as the fries cool. They will keep in the refrigerator for up to two days.
- To reheat, place the fries back in your preheated air fryer for a few minutes, shaking the basket every minute or so, until hot. You can also pan-fry the french fries over medium-high heat until crispy.
Read Also: Emeril Lagasse Promo Code
Serving Air Fryer French Fries
French fries dont have to always be a hamburgers sidekick. But if thats your mood, pair them with our cheeseburger sliders. If youre feeling Parisian, whip up a ribeye for a healthier spin on steak frites. If youre hosting a slumber party or looking to serve up a hearty appetizer on game day, smother your fries with instant pot chili and sharp cheddar.
Oh, and dont forget to make a batch of light ranch for dipping.
What You Will Need
I love the simplicity of the ingredients for these air fryer french fries. They are perfectly crispy and frugal too. Here is a breakdown of what you will need to make a batch:
Potatoes: Making french fries for sure requires some easy to work with potatoes. I prefer russet or Yukon potatoes because they fry up well and are the right texture.
Olive oil: When you cook food in the air fryer you will find that you just need a small amount of oil. Foods end up being much healthier and delicious.
Cajun seasoning: I love the flavor of Cajun seasoning with my french fries. It makes the homemade fries taste fabulous. If you arent a fan of Cajun seasoning, dont worry you can skip it or go with your favorite seasonings.
Salt and Pepper: You just need to add as much salt and pepper as you like. It doesnt take a lot, just a dash or two and they will be perfection.
Recommended Reading: Emerilairfryer360 Com Coupon
How To Make Air Fryer French Fries
When youre ready to cook, heres what you need to do:
First, chop your potatoes. Aim for them all to be a similar size, about 1/4-inch thick. That way, theyll all cook at the same rate. I dont recommend peeling your potatoes the skin helps them crisp up nicely as they cook. Once youve chopped the potatoes into fries, toss them all with olive oil and salt.
Next, cook the first batch. Spread the cut potatoes in a single layer in the air fryer basket with a little space between each one. Dont cram them in! The space allows the hot air to come in contact with all sides of the fries, which is what makes them golden brown and crisp. Air fry them at 380 for 12 to 15 minutes, flipping halfway. Take them out when theyre crisp and brown around the edges.
Repeat with the remaining potatoes, cooking as many batches as necessary to give the fries adequate space in the basket.
Finally, toss them all in together! When you finish cooking the last batch, add all the fries back into the air fryer basket and cook them for 1 to 2 minutes to warm and crisp up the earlier batches. When all the air fryer French fries are crispy, take them out, and dig in!
Find the complete recipe with measurements below.
What To Serve Air Fryer Home Fries With
Potatoes make the perfect side dish to any meal!
- For breakfast, we like a Denver egg casserole. Try some eggs benedict, and maybe a side of summer fruit salad.
- For a spectacular feast, add a dozen or so of morning glory muffins, and dont forget a pitcher of mimosas!
- Ketchup, salsa, or buffalo sauce are all perfect for dipping!
Don’t Miss: Barber Foods Air Fryer
Homemade Fries In An Air Fryer
The great thing about using an air fryer to make home fries is you use less oil than you would making them in the oven. They are still crispy and have the right amount of oil. I use olive oil but if you want a more tasteless oil, you can use avocado oil.
An air fryer takes up room in the kitchen and to justify having it, I try to make as many things as possible in it to make it worth it. Check out my other air fryer recipes such as air fryer eggplant, and hash browns in air fryer. For sure, my family enjoys these home fries the best. My kids ask for them all the time.
How Do You Cook French Fries In An Air Fryer
Start by slicing the potatoes into fries that about 1/4 inch thick. Place the fries into a big bowl of cold water as you go to remove the excess starch. Then let them soak 2 hours up to overnight in the fridge. Now drain and pat dry thoroughly with paper towels. Now add the oil, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper to a bowl or large zipper bag. Then add the potatoes and toss to coat or shake to coat .
Now preheat the air fryer for about 5 minutes then add the fries in a single layer to the air fryer basket. Work in batches cooking for about 5 minutes then flip and cook for another 5 minutes or until desired crispiness. If they are not crispy enough simply cook them longer.
Read Also: Instant Pot Air Fryer Dehydrator
How To Cook French Fries In An Air Fryer
The full recipe & ingredients list are below, but here youll find a quick overview for making this recipe perfectly, along with useful tips and info!
Preheat your air fryer and spray the basket with oil.
In a bowl, spray the fries lightly with oil and sprinkle with salt if desired. Add fries to the air fryer.
Cook, tossing the fries midway through the cycle.
Recipe Tips For Perfect Results:
- Plan ahead: Since fries need to be cooked in a single layer and this recipe makes a lot, they will need to be cooked in batches. Since each batch takes 20 minutes, these will most likely take a minimum of 40 minutes to make .
- Storage and reheating: Store any leftover fries in an air-tight container in the refrigerator and consume within 4-6 days. To reheat, just place in air fryer basket and cook at 400Â°F until heated through.
You May Like: Emeril Lagasse Air Fryer 360 Promo Code
How To Make French Fries Using The Mealthy Crisplid With Pressure Cooker
Place the trivet and the cooking basket with the sliced potatoes inside the pressure cooker inner stainless steel pot. Now place the lid on top of the inner pot using the handle on the crisplid.
Make sure the pressure cooker is unplugged. Plug the crisplid and lower the handle.
Cook for 10 minutes at 375°F. Then toss and cook for another 10 minutes.
If you like the fries to be crispier, then toss and add 5 more minutes.
One of the big advantages of the crisplid is that I can see the food being cooked.
It was so hard to wait to get this gorgeous picture. I just wanted to dig in and gobble up the best french fries
So I don’t have a specific preference to the gadget used for cooking these fresh french fries . I thought both the stand-alone Air Fryer and the Pressure Cooker Crisplid gave good results for French Fries. Depending on your personal situation for space and budget, enjoy the French Fries using the gadget you prefer!
How To Make These Your Own
- Experiment with potato varieties. There are lots of different kinds of potatoes, each with unique properties. See which one you like best. Maybe you can have a French fry tasting party. Make sure you try Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries, too.
- Peeled or unpeeled? Its up to you. I like to leave the peelings on.
- If you want, these fries can be made with no oil whatsoever. Olive oil does add good flavor, though, and helps them get crispier. Other types of oil can be used.
- Try different spices. While plain salted fries are great, you could try adding black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, smoked paprika, chili powder, and so on. Raid your spice cupboard.
- Add grated Parmesan cheese for a real treat!
- Dont want to bother cutting the potatoes? Make air fryer baked potatoes! They are so good and are perfectly baked in 40 minutes.
Serve air fryer French fries with your favorite dipping sauces, including ketchup, homemade ranch dressing, or homemade barbecue sauce. Or douse them in your favorite chili, smothered with cheese sauce.
Also Check: Air Fryer Flip Up
Shake The Basket Several Times During The Cooking Process
How to make frozen sweet potato fries in ninja air fryer. Preheat your air fryer to 400 degrees. Making your very own frozen fries is easy. Place cut sweet potato fries in the olive oil and spice mixture and cover completely.
This helps them get crispy rather than soggy when cooking. Add the *bag of frozen fries to the air fryer. Select air fry, set temperature to 350°f, and set time to 23 minutes.
Make sure they are frozen and make sure they are spaced out to ensure perfect crispiness. Its ok if they overlap a tiny bit, but you want to make sure the dry heat crisps the fries instead of steam them. Cut potatoes in to evenly sized chips approx 1cm thick and add to the basket of your ninja foodi air fryer.
Preheat air fryer to 400 f. Youll get a really good exterior crisp. Place the air fryer lid down.
Turn the air fryer to 400*f and let it run for about 5 minutes to preheat. Preheat the air fryer for 3 minutes at 400° f. Combine corn starch and water and whisk.
Freeze you own sweet potato fries. Place the frozen sweet potato fries at the bottom of the air fryer basket in a single layer. Place oiled and spiced fries.
Line cookie sheet with parchment paper and lay fries on it in a single layer, not touching each other. Ive found a relatively quick cook on a high temperature works best, cooking from frozen. Shake and gently stir about halfway through cooking.
Place frozen sweet potato fries into the air fryer.
Ninja Foodi or Air Fryer Steak Fries Recipe in 2020
How To Slice The Potatoes
I sliced the potatoes lengthwise in half first. From there, I repeated this . This results in 8 pieces of sliced potato . Slice lengthwise to create ½¾ inch fries.
Sizing is really important. You want even sized fries so that the fries cook at a consistent temperature. Otherwise you will risk burning the smaller, thinner fries.
The best way to ensure even sizing is to use a mandolin. I use this and it comes with a blade for fries.
If you wind up with smaller thinner fries, separate those and cook them separately.
You May Like: Ninja Foodi Dz201 Recipes