Can You Layer Chicken Wings In The Air Fryer
Since the frozen chicken wings shrink so much in the air fryer, you can arrange them into two layers. Then by the time you need to flip the wings halfway through the cooking process, you should have enough space to arrange them into a single layer as they finish cooking and become crispy.
If you have a smaller air fryer basket then you should cook the wings in batches. They will get crispier if they are not layered. We have cooked larger batches and they cooked thoroughly but they needed a longer cook time and more stirring. The larger batches also did not get as crispy.
You Can Cook Frozen Chicken Wings In The Air Fryer
I like easy recipes, especially when I am preparing for a large get-together. For this recipe, I simply buy a large bag of frozen chicken wings from my favorite big bulk store. Then, I can simply dump them in the air fryer and work on other snacks while they cook.
My Favorite Air Fryer for Crispy Chicken Wings
I am a University of Washington Huskies fan and yesterday was the Apple Cup, the big rivalry football game between the state schools. I had a large group of people coming over to help cheer on the Huskies, so I needed a lot of chicken wings, and fast! These air fryer buffalo chicken wings made it easy to cook them up, and since they came out in batches, we were able to snack on fresh, hot wings throughout the game.
Favorite Tips For Making Crispy Air Fryer Buffalo Wings
- Pat your wings dry with paper towels before adding them to the air fryer. This helps get them extra crisp.
- Spray theAir Fryer basket with olive oil spray before adding the chicken. It helps prevent sticking and the tiny bit of oil makes the wings extra crisp.
- Theres no need to preheat your Air Fryer. Just turn it on and go!
- It helps to cook your wings in a single layer if you have room. If not, you can work in batches. You can also overlap the wings, they just wont be as crispy.
- Start the wings at a lower temperature and then increase the temperature for the last 5-15 minutes to get them extra crispy. The total time will vary depending on how big your wings are.
- Shake the basket throughout the cooking process to help the chicken wings brown more evenly.
Recommended Reading: Nuwave Brio Air Fryer Accessories
No Air Fryer No Problem You Can Make These Buffalo Wings In The Oven
Preheat the oven to 400°F. Season the wings with the dry rub mixture . Place the seasoned wings on an oven-safe wire rack in a single layer. Bake for 40 minutes, flipping halfway through. Then toss the wings in the buffalo sauce and bake for another 10-15 minutes, or until the wings are fully cooked and reach an internal temperature of 165°F. Toss the wings in more buffalo sauce and enjoy!
What To Serve With Buffalo Chicken Wings
- Baked French Fries. Because air fryer chicken wings and fries are a match made in comfort food heaven. You can plan these recipes so that both are ready at the same time.
- Sweet Potato Fries. Another tasty option in the fry department.
- Air Fryer Broccoli. This quick-cooking air fryer side can be ready shortly after you finish up the wings. Or try oven Roasted Broccoli.
You May Like: Frozen Hamburger Patties In The Air Fryer
Making Chicken Wings In The Air Fryer
Using the air fryer makes these so easy and so fast to make. Remember to not over pack your air fryer. If you need to, cook the wings in batches. This will help the wings all cook evenly. Youll turn these half way through cooking to get them nice and crispy.
Air Fryer Buffalo Chicken Wings
Air Fryer Buffalo Chicken Wings are an absolute treat! Make finger-licking good wings that are crispy on the outside, tender on the inside, and drenched in spicy buffalo sauce! Serve with my homemade ranch dressing and celery, and these wings will be better than any youve had at a restaurant!
This content contains affiliate links, which help goodfoodbaddie.com to provide free recipes and resources. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Thank you for your support of the blog!
Also Check: Dash Compact Air Fryer 1.2 Quart
Common Questions About Air Fryer Buffalo Chicken Wings
Can I use dry rub?
Yes! You can add more flavor to the chicken wings by seasoning them with dry rub before air frying.
Can I use drumsticks instead of chicken wings?
Yes, but drumsticks take longer to cook in the Air Fryer so I recommend increasing the cooking time to 25 minutes.
How to store leftover chicken wings?
Store in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
What is the BEST Air Fryer?
I always recommend the Cosori Air Fryer, as I love its large square basket, and its quite powerful with a great design.
How To Make Super Crispy Chicken Wings In The Air Fryer
TIP: You can cook these chicken wings from frozen and they will still turn out crispy and delicious! Check out my Air Fryer Frozen Chicken Wings recipe for the details.
Also Check: Any Tizers Wings Air Fryer
How To Modify A Recipe For An Air Fryer
Air fryers are often much more efficient at cooking foods. Since the air is circulating air, similar to a convection oven, I always recommend setting your air fryer to a lower temperature and monitoring the cooking progress throughout the cooking time. Even at lower temperatures, your items may finish cooking sooner than expected. As a rule of thumb, adjust the cooking temperature about 10% lower and the cooking time about 25% shorter.
Tips For The Best Air Fryer Buffalo Chicken Wings
Below, find a collection of tips and tricks to help you make the best air fried buffalo chicken wings.
- Pat the wings down of any excess moisture. Before air frying your wings, blot them of any excess moisture with a paper towel. This will help them get ultra-crispy!
- Air fry the wings in a single layer. Although tempting, avoid stacking and crowding the wings in the air fryer basket. The more the hot air can circulate around them, the better!
- Flip the wings halfway through. To ensure all sides of the wings get enough hot air flip them halfway through the first round of cooking. Additionally, you can give the the basket a little shake here and there if you feel like your wings are crisping up as much as youd like.
- Hit the wings with high heat at the end. Cranking up the heat to 400°F at the very end will give the skin the perfect crisp.
- Toss the wings immediately after air frying. Once you pull the wings out, transfer them to a mixing bowl and toss them in the buffalo sauce right away. This will warm the sauce up and ensure it sticks to the hot wings.
- Increase or decrease the cooking time depending on the size of the wings. Wings can come in all shapes and sizes so adjust the cooking time in either direction when necessary.
Also Check: Different Brands Of Air Fryers
Storing Freezing And Reheating Instructions
- To Store- Leftover wings can be stored in the refrigerator, covered, for up to five days.
- To Freeze- Cool the chicken wings to room temperature and then place them in a ziplock bag and store in the freezer for 6 months.
- Reheating- Microwave the wings for 20-30 seconds or reheat in a preheated air fryer for two minutes.
The Air Fryer Evenly Cooks The Wings Every Time
Air fryers are like small convection ovens where the heat is constantly circling around the food inside. The less crowded the baskets are, the quicker the food cooks.
I preheated my air fryer to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and sprayed the baskets and wings with cooking oil.
The key to making good wings is to shake the basket every five minutes or so and finish with high heat.
The wings were almost done cooking after 25 minutes, so I finished them off with five minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit to get them crispy.
Recommended Reading: Pressure Cooker Air Fryer Combination
Ingredients For Chicken Wings
Youll need the following ingredients for these chicken wings:
- 1 pound chicken wings If they arent cut into pieces when you buy them, you might have to remove the wing tip and detach the wing joint.
- Extra virgin olive oil I like the flavor that the olive oil adds to the chicken, however you can use any cooking oil you want. It just helps crisp up the skin. If you want to spray the chicken with oil, thats fine too, just make sure you coat them well to keep the skin from drying out.
- Paprika Use Spanish paprika if you have it. It gives a lovely color and nice sweet flavor. You could also use a smoked paprika if you like a smoky flavor.
- Salt and pepper we keep this recipe very simple so you can decide what sauce or seasoning you want to add once theyre cooked.
Wine Pairings For Buffalo Wings
- To tame the heat of these buffalo wings, look for a wine with a hint of sweetness.Riesling and Gewurztraminer make great options.
- Even though I usually give wine pairings, Id also suggest pairing a light beer, like a pilsner with these buffalo wings.
Did you try this Air Fryer Chicken Wings Recipe?
If you thought these were tasty wings I would appreciate it so much if you would give this recipe a star review! Also, be sure to snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me on using the hashtag #platingsandpairings and tagging me @platingsandpairings.
For more great Platings and Pairings recipes, be sure to follow me on , TikTok, and .
Read Also: Best Air Fryer Consumer Reports
Can I Baste The Chicken Wings In The Air Fryer
You can baste chicken wings with a sauce like one that was mentioned above in the air fryer, if you wish. You dont want to do it too early on in the cooking process or it might burn.
To baste the chicken wings with a sauce, wait until the last 5 minutes of cooking. So if youre cooking them for 30 minutes, youll flip them after 15 minutes, then baste them after 25 minutes. Baste one side of the wings, cook for another 3 minutes, then flip and baste again. Cook until they reach your desired crispiness.
How To Make Chicken Wings In The Air Fryer
Rinse and pat the chicken wings dry. Removing any excess moisture from the wings will help the skin crisp up. Detach the wings at the joint, if necessary. I have to do this about half the time that I buy them, depending on the brand.
In a large bowl, combine the wings with the olive oil, salt and pepper. Toss to coat the pieces evenly. If you want, you can add a dry rub or seasoning salt instead of just salt and pepper, if you want more flavor.
You can also spray the wings once youve put them in the air fryer, if you dont want to toss them in the oil. This will save you the extra bowl too.
Put the wings in the air fryer basket. Its okay if they overlap. They dont need to be in a single layer to cook properly. Cook the wings on 400 degrees F for 20 minutes.
At the halfway point, shake the basket so you move the wings around. This will help them get cooked evenly on all sides. You might do another shake near the end of cooking, too.
If you want to add a glaze to the wings, do it after the first shake, and around the 14 minute mark. Use a basting brush to brush on BBQ sauce, Franks Buffalo sauce, or any other glaze of your choice, if you want to.
After 20 minutes, the wings will be nice and crispy and ready to serve. If your wings were a little on the large side, you may need to cook them longer to make sure theyre cooked through. Insert a meat thermometer and make sure the wings have reached 165 degrees F. If not, put them back in for a few more minutes.
Don’t Miss: What Size Air Fryer Should I Get
Recipe Tips And Notes
- Place the chicken wings in a single layer in the air fryer. Any wings that overlap wont get crispy.
- For evenly cooked chicken wings, flip them halfway through cooking, about 8 minutes in.
- As the wings finish up cooking, make the sauce so its ready to serve when the wings are done!
Make these air fryer honey Buffalo chicken wings whenever youre in the mood for something a little sweet, a little spicy, and totally delicious.
Ingredients Youll Need For These Air Fryer Buffalo Chicken Wings
- Chicken wings: I love using bone-in chicken wings because theyre SO flavorful and the classic way to enjoy this dish, but if youd prefer to make this boneless cut boneless, skinless chicken breasts into 1/2 strips.
- Avocado oil: Avocado oil is my preferred neutral cooking oil. Its added to the chicken wing ingredients to help it crisp up.
- Garlic powder: To add a savory taste, I used garlic powder with the seasonings. You can also substitute onion powder if you dont have any garlic powder on hand.
- Smoked paprika: Used to give the wings a slightly smoky flavor as well as to give them a slight color.
- Kosher salt: I recommend using kosher salt for this recipe. However, you can use table salt, but you will want to cut the amount in half.
- Black pepper: Freshly grated black pepper has a distinct spiciness that pairs beautifully with the savory notes of the paprika and garlic powder.
- Coconut butter: Also known as coconut manana is pureed whole coconut flesh. Coconut butter is used in place of traditional butter in the Buffalo sauce while sneaking in vital fiber and nutrients!
- Honey: The sweet element of his slightly spicy sauce comes from the honey. Honey is a natural sugar and when paired with the hot sauce, it helps create that perfect sweet-spicy flavor of the wings.
- Hot sauce: True Buffalo wing fans will only use Franks Original Hot Sauce for that classic Buffalo flavor but feel free to use your favorite hot sauce!
Recommended Reading: Tyson Buffalo Wings In Air Fryer
What Are Some Good Sides For Buffalo Wings
Creamy dressing plus carrot and celery sticks are the BEST side dishes for Buffalo wings! This is non-negotiable in our household. Blue cheese or ranch dressing are common dips for chicken wings.
My son doesnt care for blue cheese dressing, so we tend to stick with ranch. You can make the homemade ranch dressing from my air fryer breaded mushrooms recipe, or try Tessemaes Creamy Ranch Dressing for a store-bought shortcut. Primal Kitchen Ranch is an option for those who prefer a dressing that is less creamy with more sharpness from vinegar.
How Long Do You Cook Chicken Wings In The Air Fryer
As with just about every air fryer recipe, keep in mind that cook time will vary depending on size of the chicken wings and which air fryer you are using.
I cook medium size chicken wings in my Nuwave 10qt Air Fryer at 400ºF for 28-30 minutes.
Ingredients Needed For Air Fried Chicken Wings
- 2 Lbs Chicken Wings
Don’t Miss: Emeril Lagasse Air Fryer 4 Quart Reviews
How Long To Cook Frozen Chicken Wings In The Air Fryer
I like to use the air fryer to thaw the frozen chicken wings before cranking up the heat to crisp them up. First, cook the frozen wings at 360°F for 10 minutes or until obviously thawed. Then cook at 400°F for 15-20 minutes. Shake the basket or flip the wings halfway through the cooking process to ensure they are fully crispy.