How To Make Potato Wedges In The Air Fryer
In basic terms, paprika imparts a peculiar color and flour a crunch flavor on top of the potatoes. Thus, the key to the KFC texture and appearance comes from these ingredients, while the flavor is also from black pepper, garlic, and salt.
To prepare the dish, the potatoes are dipped in a mixture of eggs and milk, but you dont have to use milk if you dont want to. In addition to this, prepare flour with all seasonings and blend well. Next, bread the potatoes with the seasoned flour. So then add cooking spray to make sure they dont stick while cooking into the fryer basket. Lastly, let them cook in the air fryer until they are cooked through, but flip them once or twice.
Why Dont My Potato Wedges Get Crispy
The best way to get a crispy fry is to spread them out in the basket so that there is room for the air to circulate around them. If there isnt room for the air to circulate you end up steaming them rather than air frying. Spray the fries with a fine mist of oil to help them not stick to the basket but also get a crispy exterior. Flip them half way through cooking and apply another fine mist of oil. If they arent crispy enough add another minute or two to the cooking time.
What To Serve Your Potato Wedges With
I am 110% on board if you want to eat a whole plate of potato wedges to yourself with some ketchup or our Aussie favourite sweet chilli sauce and sour cream. But heres some delicious recipes I pair these potato wedges with
- Pick a good roasting potato to use White Potato, Sebago, Russet, Yukon Gold etc.
- Like spicy wedges? Sprinkle in some cayenne pepper with your spices!
- Dont place the wedges too close together in the air fryer basket. Leave a small gap in between each wedge.
- Keep an eye on your wedges the first time you cook them. Every air fryer can be different and some cook faster! You don’t want burnt wedges. Same goes for if you hit the 20 minute mark and they aren’t crisp yet – let them cook a little longer.
- Feel free to double or triple the recipe to feed a crowd. If you have a smaller air fryer you’ll need to cook in batches.
- Don’t have an air fryer? Make these crispy baked potato wedges in the oven!
- Can’t find sweet chilli sauce at the supermarket? Make your own using this delicious sweet chilli sauce recipe!
You May Like: Gourmia – 4.5qt Digital Hot Air Fryer – Black
The Best Air Fryer Side Dish
If you haven’t noticed I have been posting a lot of air fryer recipes lately and y’all seem to be loving them too! This kitchen appliance is absolutely amazing once you get the hang of it. I’m a huge potato lover and these Air Fryer Potato Wedges are a fun and quick recipe. You don’t even need to peel the potatoes first! With an absolutely delicious seasoning, these potatoes are the perfect flavor and you will want to keep making them over and over again. If you are looking for that perfect potato recipe to make in your air fryer, then this Air Fryer Potato Wedge recipe is for you!
Air Fryer Frozen Potato Wedges
Air fryer frozen potato wedges are a great side dish to cook when you are short on time. Simple to cook, delicious, and ready in less time than it takes to preheat your oven! After you try air frying frozen potato wedges, I guarantee youll never cook them any other way!
This post may contain affiliate links. You can read my affiliate policy here.
Recommended Reading: Bella Pro Air Fryer 6-qt
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
The air fryer is one of my favorite go-to appliances because you can get such delicious crispy food without having to use a ton of oil. When you deep fry something for that crispy texture, the food in submerged in oil and absorbs it. When you air fry something, you use a bit of oil and the air fryer does it’s magic and you get crispy food!
The potato wedges come out so crispy and delicious and the best part is that there’s no soaking involved! You can get crispy wedges with the air fryer without the extra work!
Even better, it takes less time to air fry wedges than it does to bake them. It’s definitely a recipe that is best made in an air fryer!
Do you have extra potatoes? You need to try these Air Fryer Breakfast Potatoes that are like diner home fries or these Instant Pot “Baked” Potatoes. They’re such easy and delicious ways to use up extra potatoes you have hanging around the kitchen!
How To Make The Best Air Fryer Potato Wedges
Baking potato wedges in the air fryer gives the perfect texture you would expect in less than half the time. They are quick and easy to make!
- Even: To ensure that your wedges get done at the same time and cook to the same doneness, cut them as evenly as possible. You want the potatoes to be the same thickness as well as length.
- Potatoes: Russets are the potato of choice to use here. They will crisp up the best and still be tender on the inside. Reds and Yukons are waxier and will not get as crispy.
- How to Cut Wedges: Cutting a potato into wedges is easy. Cut the potato in half-length ways. Then cut each half lengthways again, and again till you get the desired thickness.
- Air Fryer: The air fryer is a mini countertop convection oven that uses circulating air to cook the potatoes. You can overlap the potatoes wedges a bit, but shake them halfway through cooking to get them crispy all over.
- Soak: If you want even extra crunchy outsides, soak the cut potatoes in cold water for 30 minutes. This helps remove some of the starch and allows them to crisp up nicer in the air fryer. Be sure to dry the potatoes really well with paper towels or a clean dish towel before adding oil and seasonings. Otherwise, the excess moisture will cause the potatoes to steam instead of air fry, leaving them soggy.
- Leftovers: These will keep in the fridge for up to 3-4 days, they will get soggy in the fridge so I recommend reheating them in the air fryer at 400 for 2-3 minutes or till crisp again.
Recommended Reading: Reviews Of Gourmia Air Fryer
Best Potatoes For Air Frying Thick Potato Wedges
We love using russet, gold or similar gold variety of potatoes. These variety of potatoes are more starchy will cook crispy on the outside. Also, these potatoes will cook tender and delicious on the inside. Avoid using a waxy fleshed potato like red potatoes for this recipe. They dont cook down to a tender enough texture. Waxy potatoes always end up hard after cooking. Heres a good potato guide. Hope you enjoy our air fryer jojos recipe!
More Air Fryer Potato Recipes
Turn a can of potatoes into a masterpiece with these instructions for cooking Canned Potatoes in the Air Fryer.
Air Fryer Potatoes is an easy recipe for cooking new potatoes in the air fryer. A simple side dish is just a few minutes away.
Take your potatoes to the next level with this recipe for Air Fryer Potato Skins, topped with cheese and bacon.
Have you made this recipe? Please leave a below! It helps other readers!
Be sure to tag on instagram, if you on the gram! Let’s get social, you can follow me on , , , or join one of our Air Fryer Facebook Groups: Air Fryer Recipes, Air Fryer Recipes for Seniorsand Gluten Free Air Fryer Recipes.
Don’t forget to subscribe to our EMAIL newsletter.
Don’t Miss: Gourmia 5qt Air Fryer Reviews
Easy Homemade Potato Wedges
- Because these wedges are made in the air fryer there is very little oil. Just a spoonful of olive oil.
- Make these out of fresh potatoes from the garden or market for a crispier result.
- Making potato wedges in the air fryer is a lot quicker than roasting in the oven and yields fantastic results.
- Serve these as an appetizer at a party or potluck with some dipping sauce.
Ingredients For Air Fryer Potato Wedges
Seasoning the potato wedges definitely enhances the flavors. This potato wedges recipe calls for easily available ingredients at home. I like to use a combination of herbs and spices. Below is what I have used in this recipe. If you don’t have an ingredient handy that’s fine too but this is my best spice blend.
- Garlic Salt
So let’s make some homemade potato wedges in the air fryer now.
You May Like: Gourmia 6 Qt Air Fryer Reviews
Can You Reheat Potato Wedges
Yes, and as a matter of fact, there are multiple methods that allow you to enjoy tasty precooked potato wedges in a few minutes. Choosing the right approach depends on the time you have available and the appliances within reach.
The air fryer is the best option out there because it gives the potatoes a crispy finish while keeping them soft on the inside. Its like deep-frying them with a little oil, so they wont feel too greasy. If you dont have an air fryer, you can use a skillet to reheat sweet potato wedges. Although tossing them around takes more time, but the results are extraordinary.
You can also use the oven to reheat your wedges leftovers. Turning on the broiler for a minute or two will keep them crunchy.
If you must, you can use a microwave, but your wedges will be a little mushy.
Next time you have some potato wedges leftovers, follow our step-by-step guide and choose the method that works best for you.
Does An Air Fryer Make Things Crispy
The air fryer does indeed make food more crispy. The appliance acts like a convection oven, but at turbo speed and with less reliance on fats like butter or oil to get that signature crispy crunch we have grown to love so much. Air fryers circulate extremely hot air around food, cooking everything from chicken to potatoes to veggies at lightening speed.
Also Check: Lofter Air Fryer
How To Make Air Fryer Potatoes Wedges Extra Crispy
There are two tricks for extra crispy potato wedges in the air fryer.
Recipe Tips & Substitutions
To make potato wedges in the air fryer, here are a few tips to consider before getting started:
- We use Russetpotatoes for our wedges. This is because they are a starchy potato with a dark, tough skin. The outside tends to crisp up well for wedges while the flesh on the inside cooks up white and soft.
- We use avocado oil when we air fry because it has a high smoke point. We do not recommend using virgin olive oil because it has a low smoke point and can create smoke when air frying at high temperatures.
- We soak the potato wedges in hot water before air frying to help them get crispier. Make sure to rinse and dry the potatoes well after their soak. We do the same when we make air fryer French fries from scratch.
- If youre already feeling overwhelmed, you can also make frozen potato wedges they are a little bit easier!
We use this air fryer for our recipes and it has been great.
Read Also: Emeril Lagasse Air Fryer 360 Coupon Code
Toaster Ovens To Keep Your Food Warm This Winteryour Browser Indicates If Youve Visited This Link
Airfryers took over the pandemic with the help of out-of-the-box TikTok recipes, but toaster ovens are here to stay. These mini countertop cookers bake your favorite treats from personal pizzas to breakfast bagels and can even whip up a juicy roast chicken no extensive preheating or extensive countertop space required.
You May Like: Instant Pot Vortex Dehydrator Recipes
What You Need To Make Potato Wedges In The Air Fryer
I use a Cosori 5.8 quart air fryer when I make this recipe. Because the wattages can be different depending on the type of air fryer used, you may have to adjust the cooking time by 2-3 minutes. If your oven doesn’t have an air fryer basket, you can place them on a small baking sheet.
Besides an air fryer, to make these homemade potato wedges, you will need:
- 4 medium Russet Potatoes or Yukon Gold Potatoes
- 2 tablespoons Virgin Olive Oil
- teaspoon Paprika Powder
Optional: Chili Powder or Cayenne Pepper
Recommended Reading: Best Heat Resistant Mat For Air Fryer
Which Potato Is Best For Wedges
Russet potatoes work best for wedges. They cook faster and crisp up better than other potatoes. Organic is a good choice because potatoes are on the dirty dozen list for produce highest in pesticide residue.
Yellow, Yukon Gold, Red, and White potatoes work too but the result will not be as crispy, the interior texture will be waxier, and they will take a few minutes longer to cook. But they will still be tasty!
How To Cook Frozen Potato Wedges In An Air Fryer
One of the best ways to cook frozen potato wedges is by air frying. Using an air fryer makes the food to be perfectly cooked, resulting in golden crispy potato wedges in just a few minutes. Plus, this method is much healthier compared to making use of a deep fryer, and it also makes the potato wedges taste better than when it is baked with an oven.
Additionally, making use of a basket-style air fryer does not require you to flip all of them individually, like when you are using an oven for cooking. You just need to shake the basket a couple of times while cooking to redistribute the wedges.
From the time I realized the greatness of air fryers when it comes to cooking frozen foods, I stopped making use of my oven to cook them. You can still try to air fry other frozen foods like air fryer frozen pizza, air fryer egg rolls, air fryer curly fries, and air fryer pizza rolls.
Air frying has also become our favorite method of making fried potato dishes nowadays. You can try out this recipe to make your delicious crispy and golden air fryer potato wedges.
Read Also: Fold Up Ninja Air Fryer
Recipe Notes And Helpful Tips
- Before you combine the cut wedges with your ingredients, make sure you dry them well.
- The air fryer should be preheated for about two-three minutes.
- You can make use of Yukon Gold or Russet potatoes.
- The temperatures of air fryers vary. Therefore, be watchful of the potatoes and cook them until they are cooked through and golden brown.
- You do not need to always turn the potatoes individually. Just shake the basket of the air fryer multiple times while cooking so that the wedges do not stick.
- This recipe is great as an appetizer or a side dish. Sever the air fryer potato wedges with different dipping sauces to make a more delicious appetizer.
- It takes about 2-3 minutes for these potatoes to reheat well in an air fryer.
Loaded Potato Wedges Appetizer:
Heres what youll need to make loaded potato wedges. The ranch seasoning is optional but the magic in that little package adds great flavor.
- olive oil
- bacon bits
- sharp cheddar cheese shredded
Slice the potatoes into wedges then drizzle olive oil over the top and toss to coat. Sprinkle the dry ranch seasoning and salt over the wedges again tossing to coat them well.
Preheat the air fryer to 400° then lightly spritz the air fryer basket with cooking spray .
Transfer the seasoned wedges to the preheated air fryer and cook 12-15 minutes or until theyre golden and crispy outside, tender inside. Pause the cooking time every 5 minutes and give the air fryer basket a good shake to help potatoes cook uniformly.
Once the potatoes are finished cooking leave them in the air fryer and sprinkle on the shredded cheese and bacon bits then air fryer for another 15-30 seconds or until the cheese is melted.
Remove from the air fryer onto a plate then drizzle or dollop the sour cream on top. Optional: sprinkle sliced green onions or parsley.
If you tried this Air Fryer Potato Wedges recipe or any other on the blog then I hope youll leave a comment and some stars!
Do we share a love of easy, tasty recipes?LIKE ME on , FOLLOW along on , and and for all the latest.
Recommended Reading: Instant Pot Air Fryer Dehydrator
Read Also: Air Fryer Flip Up
How To Make Air Fryer French Fries
If Im being honest, French fries are the food most familiar to my air fryer. Its just so easy for when youre craving fast food! You can easily throw frozen French fries in an air fryer, but today were making them homemade. Heres how to make air fryer sweet potato fries and French fries! Use sweet potatoes or large white potatoes, like Russets.
Step 1: Cut potatoes into matchsticks using either a knife or a mandoline slicer .
Step 2: Soak sliced potatoes in a bowl of cold water for 1 to 2 hours. This removes starch to give them that perfectly crispy texture!
Step 3: Preheat air fryer to 390 degrees F . Drain and pat dry potatoes. Add to a bowl, then drizzle with vegetable oil and a pinch of salt.
Step 4: Add fries to your air fryer, spread out in as single of a layer as possible. Cook for 15 to 20 minutes, shaking the basket a few times during cooking to evenly cook.