How To Cook Frozen Fries In Air Fryer
NOTE: This recipe was made using a Cosori 5.8qt air fryer. If using a different brand air fryer, you may need to adjust the cooking time by a minute or two to reach the desired doneness.
Can You Air Fry Frozen French Fries
I know you are probably wondering can you cook frozen French fries in an air fryer? Well the answer is a massive YES.
Air fryer frozen fries is one of the best things that you can cook in the air fryer. You can dump them in, there is no prep, they come out like crispy fries you have got from takeout and you wonder why something with little oil, can taste so good.
Air Fryer Frozen French Fries Ingredients
I happy to report you dont need much to make perfect french fries in your air fryer.
Just frozen french fries and a machine will do it!
I dont add any oil since they are already coated in oil before they are frozen.
As for an air fryer, I love my 5 quart Gourmia Air Fryer that I got for $60 at Target.
I like the large size and pre-heating function.
This was an upgrade from a 1.6 quart air fryer that was way too small to make anything for the family!
Read Also: Lofter Air Fryer
Are Frozen French Fries In Air Fryer Healthy
Potatoes are a fat free, filling, and low calorie food, rich in vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants! But they often get a bad rap as unhealthy and unhelpful for weight loss. Fries are especially considered a fast, junk food because theyre usually deep-fried and heavily salted, negating any health benefits.
Frozen French fries in the air fryer are a healthier way to prepare fries, while saving the added calories from traditional deep-frying. I find that the air fryer helps me control the salt and oil content, without compromising on that delicious crispy, fried, and salty taste.
Instant Pot Air Fryer Frozen French Fries
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read the disclosure.
Published: by Paint the Kitchen Red |
Theres no need to turn on the oven to cook frozen french fries anymore! Air fryer frozen french fries turn out crisp on the outside and soft on the inside. And you can make them in less time than it takes to cook them in the oven or deep-fry them. If you dont have an Instant Pot, you can also use a traditional air fryer or bake them in the oven.
Also Check: Boscov’s Air Fryers On Sale
For Air Fryer Frozen French Fries:
Cooking frozen food in the air fryer is super simple!
Many of the items that you buy frozen have some sort of batter or coating on them, which means you dont need to mess around with oils or anything else.
This coating means that french fries crisp up wonderfully in the smaller space of an air fryer versus oven cooking. I would say they are MUCH crispier in the air fryer than the oven.
Crispy Air Fryer Frozen French Fries
Gloriously crispy golden French fries that take absolutely zero effort to prepare. Theyre a real thing and they could be yours like right now! All you need is an Air Fryer and a bag of frozen French fries. I know, theyre not homemade, but thats not what this is about today. Besides, I have an entire post dedicated to making homemade Air Fryer French Fries, so check it out if thats what youre looking for.
For today, were keeping things simple, fast, and delicious. Youll never cook frozen fries in the oven again after youve tried these air fryer frozen French fries!
Why We Love Air Fryer French Fries
If you are asking, how does an air fryer work? Then you are about to discover the immense benefits of this small machine.
Air Fryer French Fries are so much healthier than deep-fried french fries.
They are low-carb, high in fibre, and contain more protein.
According to research, fried foods contain more inflammatory fats than foods cooked in the air fryer.
These include a form of trans fat that increases the risk of heart disease by raising bad LDL cholesterol and reducing good HDL cholesterol. To make things even healthier, you can add fresh herbs for a delicious addition to your fries!
How To Serve Air Fryer Frozen French Fries
These french fries are going to be so tempting you may not need to worry about serving them with sauces. Theyll be gone before you can get them out of the basket. But if you can keep the fingers out of the air fryer, there are many ways to serve these frozen french fries. Ketchup is the original sauce that was made for french fries, but there are other sauces to dunk these air fryer fries in.
- Fry Sauce: This amazing sauce was solely invented to go with french fries. Its a grown up version of ketchup and it is divine. In my home it has replaced ketchup and mayo on hamburgers even. Its so good!
- Yum Yum Sauce: This popular sauce is light, sweet and tangy! An excellent choice!
- Cheese Sauce: Cover the golden fries in a rich thick cheesy sauce thats going to knock your socks off.
- Ranch Dressing: As my kids would say, everythings better with ranch dressing!
- Make your Own Sauce: Mix your favorite spices with a bit of mayo and ketchup to create a unique sauce of your own. Add chipotle chili powder, garlic powder, and onion powder with mayo and ketchup for a spicy western sauce thats awesome. There are lots of possibilities.
Recommended Reading: Emeril 360 Coupon Code
How To Make Air Fryer Frozen French Fries:
Spray the bottom of the air fryer pan with non-stick cooking spray.
Dump frozen fries into the bottom of the air fryer pan.
If desired, lightly spray fries with non-stick cooking spray.
Sprinkle fries with salt and toss to coat all the fries.
Set air fryer to 400 degrees. Set timer for 16 minutes, stirring fries half way through.
If you want your fries even more crispy, cook for a few more minutes .
Add more salt if desired.
Can You Soak Fries In Water Before Air Frying
You can soak fries in cold water for three to four hours. A large bowl filled with water can be used. In another way, the fries can be allowed to soak overnight or for six to eight hours. When you are set to air fry, drain off the water. Lay the fries on the basket of the air fryer after you have patted them dry with paper towels.
Next, put them in the air fryer and allow cooking for 8-10 minutes. The outcome will make you want so much more. Why dont you try it out and give us your feedback later.
You May Like: Granite Countertop Protector Mats
Helpful Equipment & Tools
- COSORI Air Fryer Oven Combo 5.8QT: This air fryer is the best one on the market in my opinion. It is less than $100, has a great sized basket, and crisps food extremely well.
- 2 Pack Black Kitchen Tongs: These silicone tongs are completely safe to use with the air fryer basket. They are heat resistant and will not scrape the nonstick coating.
Only 3 Ingredients Needed To Make Air Fryer Frozen French Fries
Cooking frozen French fries in the air fryer is completely effortless. Theres no need to add oil so you only need to mix the fries with salt and black pepper if they are not pre-seasoned:
- Frozen French fries
- Freshly ground black pepper
I love my Ninja Air Fryer which is versatile and reliable. Mine has 4-quart capacity, and I cooked my 1-pound frozen French fries in two loads to avoid overcrowding.
Read Also: Which Is The Biggest Air Fryer
Read Also: Jimmy Dean Croissant In Air Fryer
How Long Do You Cook Frozen French Fries In The Air Fryer
It usually takes just 6-9 minutes to cook frozen French fries in the air fryer. However, the cook time depends on your brand of air fryer, the basket size, and how full you fill the basket with fries.
I use the Instant Brand Vortex Plus Air Fryer. This air fryer takes a couple minutes to preheat before it starts cooking time. If your air fryer also does this, check your air fryer french fries after 5 minutes.
These days, most frozen french fries have air fryer instructions on the actual bag. Start with those instructions, and adjust as you see how it works in your air fryer.
The biggest tip with making frozen fries in the air fryer is to ensure theyre in a single layer. Piling the frozen fries into the basket wont allow enough air flow between the fries to get them cooked and crispy.
What Is Most Appropriate To Eat With Frozen French Fries
Naturally, ketchup comes to mind as soon as frozen French fries are mentioned. But it is not the only sauce that goes with this air fried frozen fries.
If we decide to go with ketchup then we need to choose the organic type made with less complex ingredients and natural sweetener. Other sauces that can serve are:
3. Cheese sauce
Top Tips For Air Fryer Frozen French Fries
- You can adjust the cooking time depending on how crispy you like your fries or how thick they are. For softer or thinner fries, decrease time. For crispier or thicker fries, increase it.
- If youre using an air fryer that doesnt rotate, toss your fries very, very well midway through. Make sure the fries that are sitting on the bottom of the bowl are scooped up to the top.
- If your air fryer does rotate, be sure to check on them halfway to judge how thoroughly cooked they are.
- Do not spray too much oil, or your fries will get mushy!
- You dont have to preheat your air fryer, but be aware that your cooking time may be longer!
- Try your fries with different seasonings for a more gourmet snack. Try garlic or onion powder, seasoned salt , or chipotle powder for fries with a kick.
Why You Will Love This Recipe:
- These frozen French fries in air fryer turn out so perfectly crisp every single time! Never soggy or burnt they get cooked to perfection.
- They taste just like deep fried fast food French fries, but are so much healthier for you! You can use this cooking method for all different types of fries including frozen crinkle cut fries, Mccain fries, Trader Joes fries and more!
- Frozen fries in air fryer are so easy to make and are ready in just 15 minutes.
- The clean up is super simple because theyre made in your air fryer.
- French fries are gluten free, dairy free, vegan and paleo!
You May Like: Jimmy Dean Sausage Patties Air Fryer
Tips For The Best Air Fryer Frozen Fries
- Shake it up: To make sure your fires all get crispy and cooked evenly be sure to toss them gently half way through. Youll want to rotate the bottom to the top and move them around. You can shake them up more than once, if youd like. Some air fryers rotate, but youll still want to check and see how theyre doing half way through.
- Dont Overfill: For frozen fries you dont want to fill your air fryer more than half to ¾ full. You do not have to put frozen fries in a single layer, but you for do not want to over crowd the basket. You may end up with undercooked fries.
- Crispier: Depending on the thickness and type of fry you use, you might need to increase or decrease the cooking time. The longer you cook the fries, the crispier they will become.
Some Additional Tips To Cook Frozen French Fries
Fries may be made crispier or thicker by varying the cooking time to suit your preferences. Reduce the cooking time for softer or thinner fries. Increasing the number of fries will make them crispier or thicker.
While cooking fries in an air fryer with no rotation, toss them a lot midway through the cooking process. Scoop up the bottom-of-the-bowl fries and place them on the top.
Whether your air fryer rotates, make careful to check on the food midway through cooking to see if its done to your satisfaction.
Your fries will get mushy if you over spray them with the oil!
Make sure you know how long your cooking time will be when using an air fryer without preheating!
Try various spices on your fries for a more sophisticated snack. Fries with little heat can be given a flavor boost by using garlic, onion, or seasoned salt .
Recommended Reading: How To Cook Jimmy Dean Breakfast Sandwiches In Conventional Oven
Best Air Fryer For French Fries
French fries are a universally loved snack, and it is even more fun to make french fries in an air fryer. Air fryers use a fraction of oil compared to frying the fries, and they result in fries that are crispy and browned to perfection. Cooking the fries takes only a little time as compared to frying them in oil.
Another benefit of using air fryers for fries is that the result is healthier because of less oil. You can easily set up the temperature and time for which you want to cook the fries and shake them through the process to make sure they are cooked evenly.
In this article, we are going to take a look at some air fryers that are best suited for making french fries. We will also take a look at their features, pros, cons, and more.
Recommended Reading: Best Rated Air Fryer With Rotisserie
How Do You Cook Frozen French Fries In The Air Fryer
- Preheat your air fryer to 400ºF.
- Add frozen fries to the air fryer basket.
- Spray lightly with oil.
- Sprinkle with salt or seasoning to taste.
- Cook for 7-9 minutes, tossing the fries every 4 minutes for best results.
- Some frozen french fries have air fryer instructions on the bag. Use those if the manufacturer supplies them!
You May Like: Jimmy Dean Breakfast Burrito Instructions
Tips & Tricks For The Best Air Fryer Frozen Fries
Adjust cook time. If you like a softer fry, air fry them for the lower end of the cook time. If you like a crispier fry, do for the higher cook time.
Toss your fries. Give the air fryer tray or basket a little shake. This makes sure the fries are spread out evenly and not piled up in one area.
Check on your fries! This is always best practices when youre about halfway through the air frying process. Not only can you eyeball it to adjust time if things are cooking faster than expected, but it gives you the chance to switch the trays or shake the basket to toss the fries to ensure theyre all cooking evenly.
Use a conservative amount of oil. No deep-frying here! You just ned a quick spray to the basket or tray and a quick spray to the fries. Some frozen fries already come with oil on them, so make sure youre not doubling up on the oil. Too much oil can make for soggy, limp fries.
Switch up your type of fry! Try waffle fries, sweet potato, or small matchstick fries to switch it up. Just keep in mind the cook time will vary depending on the thickness of the fry.
Different Types Of Frozen Fries In Air Fryer
- Waffle fries: Overcooked waffles fries get incredibly hard so be careful with these! They cook much quicker than most french fries in the air fryer.
- Frozen Curly fries: I love Arbys curly fries and you can purchase them frozen in the grocery store. Make sure to toss these every couple of minutes so they cook evenly.
- Frozen Steak fries: steak fries take a little bit longer than other kinds of fries. Add 1-2 minutes.
- Frozen Sweet potato fries: If youre not making homemade air fryer sweet potato fries, try Alexia sweet potato fries! Theyre so good.
- Frozen Crinkle fries: the crinkle cut fries cooked the fastest for me. They took about 6 minutes.
- Frozen Shoestring fries: These fries also took 6 minutes to cook in the air fryer.
- Frozen Tater tots: Tater tots are some of my favorite! I find these take just an additional 2-3 minutes for extra crisp.
Don’t Miss: Costco Jimmy Dean Breakfast Bowls
What Are The Disadvantages Of Air Fryer
Air fryers are difficult to clean. Air fryers are more expensive than deep fryers. Air fryers have longer cooking times compared to conventional deep fryer. Air fryers are too small for larger families. Burnt, dried and failed air fryer dishes. Air fryers can be loud and noisy. Air fryers require space and are bulky.
How Long Cook Frozen French Fries In A Rice Cooker
Cooking times will vary depending on the sort of fry youre using:
8 to 10 minutes for shoestring fries
Cooking time: 10 to 11 minutes
About 16-18 minutes for Sweet Potato Fries
It just takes 10 minutes to fry up some waffle fries!
10-12 minutes for curly fries
Tater Tots: About 10-12 minutes.
If your Frozen French fries arent crisp enough after theyve finished frying, simply toss them back in and cook them for a few additional minutes.
You may also check the doneness of your food in the air fryer at any moment and re-fry it if necessary.
Recommended Reading: Jimmy Dean Breakfast Sandwich Air Fryer