How To Make Unbreaded Chicken In The Air Fryer
Now you might be wondering how to cook chicken breast in the air fryer if you dont wish to bread it.
So if you want to cut a little bit on the calories then go for the unbreaded version. However, the breaded crispy chicken breast in the air fryer is definitely my favorite!
Why Youll Love Cooking Chicken Breasts In An Air Fryer
- I air fry pretty much everything because its quick and easy .
- This needs just a couple of minutes of prep.
- It takes only a handful of ingredients. Use the seasonings below, your favorite chicken seasoning, or really any seasoning mix.
- The results are incredibly juicy every single time. Hands down one of our favorite 20-minute meals.
- Its great to make ahead for meal prep.
The Best Way To Cook Wings In The Air Fryer
Of all of the cuts of chicken, wings have the highest skin-to-meat ratio.
This makes wings ideal for air frying, because all of that skin can become deliciously crisp .
The tricky part of making crispy chicken wings in an air fryer is ensuring that the fat can fully render . If it doesnt, the wings will be soggy and greasy.
While some recipes call for making air fryer chicken wings with flour or air fryer chicken wings with baking soda to crisp them, I found this step tedious and messy.
Adding baking soda or flour also doesnt avoid the grease-factor. Heres what does
Also Check: How To Cook Chicken Strips In Air Fryer
How Long To Cook Chicken In The Air Fryer
The basic time for a standard 8-oz portion of chicken is 8 minutes. However, smaller or larger cuts will have differing cooking times:
- Small breasts : 6 to 8 minutes
- Medium breasts : 7-10 minutes
- Large breasts : 10-14 minutes
Since chicken breasts are leaner compared to other proteins, it doesnt take long to cook in the air fryer.
More Ways To Season Air Fryer Chicken Thighs Recipe
- Parmesan Air Fryer Chicken Thighs. Add 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese to your spice mixture.
- Spicy Air Fryer Chicken Thighs. Add 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper to the spice mixture.
- Brown Sugar Air Fryer Chicken Thighs. Add 2 teaspoons of brown sugar to the spice mixture.
- Italian Air Fryer Chicken Thighs. Add 2 teaspoons of Italian seasoning to the spice mixture.
- Curry Air Fryer Chicken Thighs. Add 2 teaspoons curry powder to the spice mixture.
- Garlic Butter Air Fryer Chicken Thighs. Omit the smoked paprika, add an extra teaspoon of garlic powder, and swap the olive oil for melted butter.
- Lemon Air Fryer Chicken Thighs. Add zest of 1 lemon to the spice mixture.
Don’t Miss: Instant Pot Vortex 4 In 1 Air Fryer
How To Make Juicy Air Fryer Chicken Breast
Cooking chicken breasts in the Air fryer couldn’t be any easier. Here’s how to cook juicy chicken breasts:
What Sauce To Serve This Chicken With
Chicken and sauce is a match made in heaven! And Im currently loving my homemade Yum Yum sauce. Its the sauce that you get at hibachi restaurants, and I love it so much and think that it works great with chicken, fries, in burgers, sandwiches, and more! Its almost like an all-purpose sauce that I add it to all of my food!
Homemade ranch is also always a great idea for dipping sauce! Its much better and creamier than store-bought, and you can even make cayenne ranch sauce by adding paprika, cayenne, and a little bit of hot sauce. So good!
Join our private where we share exclusive recipes, and answer all of your IP and AF questions! We hope to see you there!
Read Also: What Can You Make In The Air Fryer
Air Fryer Chicken Breasts Recipe
This foolproof recipe makes flavorful and tender air fryer chicken breasts every time, seasoned with herbs and spices.
Similar to my air fryer chicken thighs, this air fryer chicken recipe is made with just the right amount of seasoning and extremely versatile. This recipe is also perfect for someone following a keto or Whole30 lifestyle.
Air frying is the best way to cook tender chicken in less time, since theres no preheating the oven. And with my simple seasoning blend, these flavorful chicken breasts not only make an easy weeknight dinner, but theyre perfect for meal prep too. This recipe results in super flavorful, tender chicken breasts with no brining!
Expert Tips For Success
- Ensure there is enough space between the chicken breasts in the air fryer basket. The air fryer cooks the protein by circulating the hot air, so it is important.
- Flip the chicken breasts halfway through the cooking time to ensure both sides are evenly cooked.
- Do not line the air fryer basket with parchment paper or tin foil, as the basket-style air fryer basket cooks the meat evenly.
Don’t Miss: Quick And Easy Air Fryer Recipes
The Best Air Fryer Chicken Breast
As someone who enjoys chicken breasts on a weekly basis, I used to follow the same method of cooking them. Id marinate them for several hours, then pan-fry or bake them in the oven. The downside to this was how time-consuming it is.
This air fryer chicken breast recipe is truly a game changer. Unlike other chicken recipes, there is no brining or marination needed.
It cooks super quickly: 4 minutes on each side for a total cooking time of 8 minutes.
Its juicy and tender every single time, and cooking it in the air fryer guarantees consistent and perfect results every single time.
Oh, and its easy to customize with various spices, sauces, or even a dry rub. Pair it with some air fryer Brussels sprouts for a low carb and healthy dinner!
Using Frozen Chicken Breast
Yes, you put raw frozen chicken in the air fryer!
You wont be able to brine it first or pound it to an even thickness but if you forget to thaw your chicken, its a great option to have on hand.
- To Cook Frozen Chicken Breast in the Air Fryer: Preheat the air fryer to 360 degrees F. Drizzle the chicken with olive oil and season as desired. Spray the air fryer basket with non-stick spray then air fry the chicken for 18 to 20 minutes, flipping once halfway through.
Recommended Reading: What All Can You Do With An Air Fryer
Cooking Time As Determined By Weight
As mentioned above, how long it will take to cook chicken in the air fryer will vary based on the size of your chicken breasts. Keep in mind that you will need to flip the chicken halfway through cooking!
- Small Breasts that are roughly 5 to 7 ounces: 7 to 10 minutes
- Medium Breasts that are roughly 8 to 10 ounces: 10 to 13 minutes
- Large Breasts that are 11 ounces or more: 14 to 18 minutes
As all meat does, the chicken will continue to cook while it is resting, and this is a good thing. After the chicken has finished cooking, check the temperature. It should ideally be around 155ºF or 160ºF.
Let the chicken sit for an additional 5 minutes. The temperature will continue to rise as the chicken rests. Double-check one more time that the temperature has risen to 165ºF after it has rested! Then you are ready to eat!
Which Air Fryer Should I Purchase
There are SO many air fryers on the market, it can be tough to choose. Lucky for you, Ive tried 3 different ones and highly recommend all of them.
- Ninja Foodi Grill I have this one and its the one I use the most.
- Ninja Foodi Digital Air Fry Oven I also have this one and love that you can flip it up to get your counter space back!
- GoWise Air Fryer This is the first air fryer I ever purchased, its great and affordable.
Read Also: Powerxl Air Fryer Grill Deluxe
How To Make Crispy Juicy Air Fryer Chicken Thighs
For this recipe, you can use bone-in or boneless chicken thighs , but I highly recommend using bone-in, skin-on for this recipe.
- As with this Baked Bone-In Chicken Breast, the skin locks in moisture, so you dont need to spend time brining the meat for excellent results, the way you would with Air Fryer Chicken Breast.
- The bone flavors the meat from within and makes it harder to overcook the chicken.
- Bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs are a bargain compared to boneless.
- Chicken thighs are healthy! They dont deserve the bad rap they sometimes get. Prepared the right way , they are an excellent, lean source of protein and contain important nutrients like zinc and iron.
Why We Love This Recipe
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts are such an easy cut of meat to cook.
- Without skin, fat, or bones they are quick to cook.
- Prep for this recipe is really fast and needs just a few ingredients.
- The chicken breasts come out tender and juicy every time.
Cooking in the air fryer is a great way to make a moist and tender chicken quickly so that the meat can be eaten for dinner or used for meal prep. It can be lightly seasoned and sliced or shredded then tossed into salads like this Chicken Salad, or added to an Air Fryer Chicken Pot Pie. You can even use it to make the Air Fryer Chicken Fajitas.
Read Also: Vortex Air Fryer Plus Power Xl
Storage Tips & Leftover Ideas
You can store leftover air fryer chicken breast in the refrigerator for up to 4 days, or in the freezer for up to 6 months. For refrigeration, an airtight storage container works best. You could also use aluminum foil.
For freezer, I recommend a freezer bag, with most of the air pockets removed. Those vacuum sealers are awesome. SO definitely feel free to use one if you have one. Honestly, just patting the bag flat with your hand to remove most of the air pockets prior to sealing works fine too.
I always make extra air fryer chicken breasts because they are so good on many other dishes throughout the week. Some of our favorites are chicken pasta bake, chicken pesto pasta and Greek salad with chicken.
Easy Air Fryer Chicken Breasts
Simple to prep, these breasts come out so perfectly tender and juicy and the seasoning rub is to die for! Ready to enjoy in just 20 minutes, this air fryer method is super quick, full proof and guaranteed to please hungry bellies.
After a long day, when you dont want to spend hours in the kitchen, this is one tasty go to.
Read Also: Best Air Fryer To Clean
How To Reheat Chicken Breasts In An Air Fryer
I recommend setting the chicken breasts out at room temperature for 5 to 10 minutes to warm up slightly, then cook in a 350F air fryer for about 5 to 10 minutes. Youll want to flip the chicken halfway through.
This will reheat the breaded chicken breasts and also crisp them up slightly, although theyll never be as crispy as when you first prepared them.
Is Air Fryer Chicken Healthy
Air fryer Chicken Breasts arent really any healthier than chicken breasts that are cooked with the same ingredients on the stove top, in the oven, or in the slow cooker.
The air fryer is a healthier method than deep frying food, so this air fryer chicken breast is healthier than deep fried chicken, but thats not really an equal comparison.
That being said, chicken breasts are still a lean protein option, and we love cooking them in the air fryer because they are the juiciest weve ever had!
Don’t Miss: Oven To Air Fryer Conversion
Variations And Substitutions For This Air Fryer Chicken Breast Recipe:
- Swap breasts for thighs: you can swap boneless, skinless chicken thighs for the chicken breasts in the recipe and you wont need to change the recipe much I would set your air fryer timer for 8 minutes and then check for doneness with a meat thermometer, as they are usually smaller than chicken breasts.
- Swap the seasoning: have a go-to blend of spices you love? It will work perfectly here! Think garlic herb, cajun, barbecue, taco, Greek any dry blend can be substituted. Just sprinkle on both sides evenly before cooking.
How To Cook Chicken Breast In Air Fryer
As far as cooking chicken breasts in the air fryer goes it’s as simple as following 2 simple steps – prepping the chicken, and cooking it.
Yep, it’s as simple as that. So, let’s not waste any more time, and get cooking!
STEP 1: PREP
First, preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees Fahrenheit . And don’t worry if it doesn’t heat up all the way. You just want it to get hot before adding the chicken – it cooks faster this way.
Now, while the air fryer is warming up, you’ll want to add two chicken breasts to a large plastic bag, put them on a cutting board, and use a meat tenderizer to pound the chicken breasts until they’re about ¼ of an inch thick.
Then, add all of the dry rub ingredients – if you’re using it – to a small bowl and mix them together until combined.
Next, put the chicken breasts on a plate, sprinkle an equal amount of the rub on both sides, and use your hands to work the rub into the meat.
STEP 2: COOKING THE CHICKEN
Once the chicken is good to go, coat the air fryer basket with baking spray and add the chicken breasts to it.
Then set the air fryer to 400°F and cook for 8 minutes or until the chicken reaches an internal temp of 162°F. And make sure to flip the chicken halfway through cooking, at the 4-minute mark.
STEP 3: SERVING
Now, after the chicken cooks to perfection, remove it from the air fryer, and let it rest for a few minutes.
Having said that, after the chicken is done resting, you can dig in and enjoy!
You May Like: Power Air Fryer Customer Service
Reasons Why You Will Love Air Fryer Recipes
- Cooking becomes really quick. If you compare it to cooking the same recipe in the oven, or on the stove then cooking in the air fryer takes less time.
- Its very convenient and it doesnt leave a mess. All youll need to wash after cooking is the Air fryer basket, and it can go in the dishwasher anyway.
- Its quite healthy as you can use just 1 tablespoon of oil if youre air frying chicken, but you will need 2 cups of oil if youre deep-frying on the stove.
- Its economical since you dont need as much oil when compared to cooking on the stove. It also uses less electricity than the oven.
- There are so many things that you can cook in the air fryer oven, you can even bake in it!
How To Reheat Chicken Breast On The Stovetop
- Take a skillet, and add just enough water to cover the bottom. Heat the water over medium-high heat, and then add the chicken.
- Turn the heat down to medium, and heat the meat until it has reached 165°F . Heating usually takes around 6 minutes.
- If you are reheating frozen chicken, you must defrost it first.
Read Also: Air Fryer Chefman Best Buy