Notes On Air Fryer Grilled Cheese
- You can use softened butter or mayo to coat the outside of your sandwich.
- I prefer to use Kraft Deli Cheese Slices in my grilled cheese because they have a lower carb count.
- I also enjoy using low carb breads such as Sola brand or Sara Lee Delightful Bread to bring down the carb counts while enjoying a grilled cheese from time to time.
- You cant forget to make a big bowl of our Low Carb Crock Pot Creamy Tomato Soup. Yum!
- We use Ninja Foodi Air Fryers like the Foodi Grill and the Original Foodi.
- Looking for more recipes? Our Recipe Finder can help you find exactly what you need.
- Check out all our favorite recommendations for cookbooks, slow cookers and low carb essentials in our .
- As with any of our recipes, carb counts, calorie counts and nutritional information varies greatly. As a result, your nutritional content depends on which products you choose to use when cooking this dish. The auto-calculation is just an automated estimate and should NOT be used for specific dietary needs.
- Finally, all air fryers cook differently, so cooking times are always a basic guideline. Recipes should always be tested first in your own air fryer and time adjusted as needed.
Air Fryer Grilled Ham And Cheese Sandwich Recipe
There’s always a debate in our house about which is better, the simple grilled cheese sandwich, or a meatier version. Since I am the only real fan of ham in the household, I’ll let the others pick their own favorites. I already know that if there’s ham in the refrigerator, I’ll be adding it!
Thin deli-sliced ham is best folded over, but I truly love thick slices of leftover holiday ham best! The flavor from the roasted ham adds so much to an already fabulous sandwich!
More to the point, the air fryer version of these comfort food sandwiches is a true delight! No more not-quite-melted cheese in the center, or having to use American cheese for an easy solution to perfectly melted cheese.
Air Fryer Grilled Cheese Ingredients
This air fryer grilled cheese couldnt be any easier. All of the ingredients are probably in your pantry right now. So what are you waiting for?
- Sourdough Bread: I prefer sourdough bread, but you can use your favorite bread.
- Cheese: Use any good melty cheese, American, gouda, cheddar or gruyere.
- Mayo: Dont confuse this with miracle whip.
- Butter: Adds flavor and helps to brown the bread.
Also Check: Reviews Of Power Air Fryer 360
Video Result For How Long Do You Cook A Grilled Cheese
How to Make the Perfect Grilled Cheese | You Can Cook…
Ninja Foodi Grill | BEST Grilled Cheese Sandwich w/…
Grilled Cheese Recipe Using a Microwave
How We Cook Grilled Cheese | How You Cook It | EP 2
How to: Grilled Cheese Sandwich in the Air Fryer Oven
HOW TO MAKE A GRILLED CHEESE – In Less Than 5 Minutes
How to Make Air-Fried Grilled Cheese | Air Fryer…
Air Fryer Grilled Cheese Sandwich – Easy Crispy…
How to make a perfect grilled cheese!
How to Cook a Grilled Cheese in an Air Fryer
How To Make Grilled Cheese In An Air Fryer
I am absolutely in love with making grilled cheese in an air fryer. It creates the perfectly toasted sandwich with all that ooey gooey cheese in the middle.
And, you cant forget to make one of our yummy tomato soups to go along with your perfect grilled cheese.
Recipe was altered from Slow Cooker Revolution Volume 2s Creamy Roasted Tomato Soup.
Also Check: Accessories For Instant Vortex Air Fryer
How To Make An Air Fryer Grilled Cheese Sandwich
This sandwich is SO incredibly easy to make. Which is probably why they were our go-to meals when we were kids.
You will just need two slices of your favorite bread per sandwich, a slice of your favorite cheese, and a little bit of softened butter.
There are so many cheese options from Kraft!
Spread a light layer of the butter on one side of each piece of bread. Place the buttered side down in the air fryer basket. Cover the slice of bread with a piece of cheese. Then top the cheese with another slice of bread, with the buttered side up. Cook for 5 minutes, flip, and cook for a few more minutes. That’s it!
Making Incredible Grilled Cheese
This takes the same amount of time as your regular grilled cheese but will taste 5 times better.
Read Also: Instant Pot Duo Dehydrator
Air Fryer Grilled Cheese
I used to make my grilled cheese on a skillet but now I make them in the air fryer because it is so simple and the air fryer makes the bread nice and toasty! I updated this post with a regular version of grilled cheese for those who dont follow the WW program and my WW version of grilled cheese. If you dont want to read through all the mumbo jumbo, click the jump to recipe link at the top of the page.
Preparing Unique Grilled Cheese
Choosing different types of ingredients can make your grilled dishes more tasty and unique. Below, we will discuss how you can bring variations in your air-fried grilled cheese.
- Bread: You can add various types of bread, including rye, ciabatta, etc. It will bring a new variation to the air-fried grilled cheese.
- Cheese: Like the bread, there are various cheese options, though. You can add olby, provolone, swiss, pepper jack, Monterey jack, or any strongly flavored cheese.
- Toppings: You can add tomatoes, caramelized onions, mushrooms, cucumbers, avocados, sliced meat, pepperoni, or anything you like to make the grilled cheese better.
Don’t Miss: Instant Pot Air Fryer Dehydrator
Air Fryer Grilled Cheese Recipe
- white bread, or bread of your choice personally, I love the classic white bread when it comes to this recipe, but feel free to use whatever bread you have on hand or whatever you prefer.
- butter or mayonnaise I use either or, depending on my mood. However, when I want the brownest, crispiest, and most flavorful sandwich, I go with mayo.
- American cheese any melty cheese is good for this recipe, but American cheese is the classic we all know and love!
How To Make Air Fryer Grilled American Cheese Sandwich
- Butter one side of each piece of bread.
- Place American Cheese in between both slices with the butter side out.
- Mayonnaise is also great to use for this Air Fryer Grilled American Cheese Sandwich.
- The sandwich then cooks in the Air Fryer or the Crisplid. .
If you like tomatoes, a nice slice of a tomato inside the sandwich is fantastic too!
We keep our bread frozen, so it is easier to butter.
Please check my article on How to Properly Season Air Fryer Basket before starting.
Also Check: Instant Pot Air Fryer Dehydrator
The Best Bread For Air Fryer Grilled Cheese
It’s the question folks have been asking for ages – which type of bread makes the best grilled cheese?
The truth is, it’s all about personal preference!
If you want to make a super crispy, crunchy grilled cheese, I recommend using just about any plain old white bread or sourdough.
Look for bread that has a nice even grain, not too porous, but not too dense.
With this air fryer grilled cheese recipe, we’re aiming for a sandwich that has a nice bread to cheese ratio.
I like to use white bread, but you can use any brand or variety that you prefer.
The Correct Way Of Using An Air Fryer Oven
- Heating: Some air fryer ovens require preheating, while others dont. Thus, if your air fryer oven falls in the first category, you need to preheat it before going for the cooking.
- Basket-Jamming: We recommend you not to overcrowd the air fryers basket. In case you do, you may not get the perfect grilled cheeses as some of them wont cook correctly.
- Oil: Although air fryers are built to cook without using any cooking oil, some fryers need oil. In case your air fryer requires oil, you can use a small amount of oil then.
Also Check: Instant Pot Air Fryer Dehydrator
How To Make Grilled Cheese In The Air Fryer:
The first thing to do is butter one side of two pieces of bread.
Put two pieces of cheese between the bread with the buttered side facing out.
You can use any type of cheese you like. We usually keep it simple with the Kraft singlesits what we grew up with!
If you want an EXTRA CHEESY sandwich, sprinkle a little shredded cheddar between the sliced cheese. Its amazing.
Cook each side in the air fryer for four minutes. It doesnt get much easier than this!
What Is The Best Air Fryer On The Market
There are a ton of different air fryers on the market. Check these two out if you dont already have one on hand:
- Gourmia 5 Qt AirFryer I have been using this air fryer for over a year and I love the functionality. It has a ton of presets for common foods , which helps take the guesswork out of how long to cook certain dishes. Its also super easy to clean, I just pop the basket into a dishwasher.
- Cuisinart TOA-60 Convection Toaster Air Fryer I havent used this one, but I definitely have my eye on it. This is a toaster oven, convection oven and air fryer all-in-one! If any of you snag it, please let me know how you like it in the comments below!
Don’t Miss: Reviews Of Power Air Fryer 360
What To Serve With Grilled Cheese
If you want fries with your grilled cheese you can cook them at the same time with the grilled cheese in your air fryer basket. My favorite brand of frozen fries are Alexa or Ore Ida. I will cook frozen french fries at 350 for 12 minutes.
Chips and pickles
My recipe 5 Ingredient Tomato Blender Soup would also be good with grilled cheese.
How To Cook An Air Fryer Grilled Cheese
Making an air fryer grilled cheese is even easier than making it on the stovetop!
All you need to do is to add the cheese to one slice of bread then put the other slice on top.
Butter both sides of the sandwich and put it in the air fryer.
Set the air fryer at 370F degrees for 4 minutes and press start.
When the timer goes off, flip it and put it in for 3 more minutes at 370F degrees.
After that, remove the grilled cheese from the air fryer, slice it and serve it immediately.
Read Also: Breville The Smart Oven Air Fryer Review
The Best Cheese For Grilled Cheese
The best cheeses for grilled cheese melt easily and have a substantial flavor of their own.
- Sharp cheddar, gruyere, swiss, gouda, and fontina are all excellent choices for grilled cheese.
- Avoid pre-shredded cheeses, which do not melt well, or hard, aged cheeses that dont melt as easily , unless you are combining an aged with a different, melty cheese.
- Create a combo. For a unique twist, try a combination of two or more cheeses. My favorite is to use a nutty cheese like gruyere and a classic sharp cheddar.
- Butter. A light swipe of softened butter is necessary to make sure your grilled cheese crisps nicely and doesnt taste dry.
What Others Are Saying
Sandra Deveau says:
Made this grilled cheese sandwich, added a sausage breakfast patty cooked the patty first, then cooked sandwich for 4 min with lid on both sides came out beautifully.
Vladimir Lafontant says:
Its quick & easy. The grill cheese comes out as crispy as perfect toast. The kids love it & its simple enough for them to do themselves.
Caitlin Lynvh says:
When I looked inside my air fryer at first I was nervous because I am only 10 but I looked at it and took a bite it was like the grilled cheese at those fancy restaurants perfection
Carol Claude says:
Don’t Miss: Lofter Air Fryer
How To Make Grilled Cheese In Air Fryer
Tomato & Cheddar Grilled Cheese
My favorite summertime treat when the tomatoes are at their prime! I like the make the grilled cheese with extra sharp cheddar and then pry it open and put a big juicy tomato slice in the middle of all that melty cheese. If you like the tomato warm, you could put it in right from the beginning, but be warned your bread might get slightly soggy this way.
Don’t Miss: Instant Pot Air Fryer Dehydrator
Grilled Cheese Sandwhich In The Air Fryer
I have always loved grilled cheese sandwiches. When we were kids, my brothers and I made them for lunch almost every day. During the summers, we would swim, come inside for a quick grilled cheese, and then run back to the backyard or grab our bikes for whatever adventures we had planned for the day.
I remember one day, we had a cook off competition to see who could make the best grilled cheese sandwich. I am not going to brag, well, maybe I will a little, but it was me!
But that was a long time ago, and way before I started making them in the air fryer. I would have won hands down, without even trying, if I had an air fryer back then!
Making grilled cheese sandwiches in the air fryer is incredibly easy and fast! I only make one or two at a time, but four could easily be made at once.
You will only need bread, cheese, and butter, to make this perfect and crispy sandwich in the air fryer.
How To Make Grilled Cheese In An Air Fryer Oven
What Can You Add To Your Grilled Cheese
For extra flavor add a pinch of spices to the butter. I like Cajun seasoning for a little spice.
Add veggies like spinach, arugula, sautéed mushrooms, sautéed onions or finely chopped broccoli florets.
Tomato and bacon will make this the ultimate grilled cheese.
Also Check: Instant Pot Vortex Dehydrator
Other Air Fryer Recipes
- Air Fryer Steak Bites Steakin the air fryer? You read right. Its tender, juicy and on the table fast.
- Air Fryer Asparagus Crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside.
- Air Fryer Chicken Want some quick protein on your salad? This chicken can make that happen.
- Air Fryer Cod Cod can be so bland and dry. This recipe makes the fish come out moist and flaky each time.
How To Make Air Fried Grilled Cheese Sandwich In Air Fryer
- Note of Caution: If your bread is really thin and light, it will fly off the sandwich from the circulating air in the air fryer. So you can use a toothpick to secure the sandwich together. But remember to remove the toothpicks before eating!
- Lay slices of good melting cheese in center of slices of bread. Close the sandwich and spread softened butter on outside of bread. Or spray with light olive oil spray. Some folks love spreading it with mayo on the outside. So theres three options for you.
- Lay sandwich in air fryer and cook. Fantastic grilled cheese sandwich in the air fryer thats easy and delicious!
- Full recipe instructions in the recipe box below.
Don’t Miss: Power Air Fryer 360 Xl Reviews
Air Fryer Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Making an air fryer grilled cheese sandwich has never been easier! The first time I made these sandwiches in my air fryer, I couldn’t believe how crispy and buttery they were when they finished cooking.
Why Make Grilled Cheese In An Air Fryer
The biggest reason to make Air Fryer Grilled Cheese is the texture. This cooking method gets the bread extra toasty and crisp on the outside, but keeps it soft inside. Its crispier than a sandwich cooked in a skillet, but also less greasy.
Spreading the bread with butter or mayonnaise gives it plenty of classic grilled cheese flavor so it doesnt just taste like cheese toast.
The second reason is consistency. Air fried grilled cheese cooks really evenly and youre less likely to accidentally burn it in spots. It comes out perfect every time.
Im able to fit one sandwich at a time in my 2.6 quart Crux air fryer, but if you have a larger fryer or one with a square basket, you should be able to fit two at a time.
Don’t Miss: Instant Pot Air Fryer Dehydrator
How To Make A Grilled Cheese In An Air Fryer
Start by buttering one side of each piece of bread. If your bread is very soft, you may need to soften the butter slightly before spreading. To soften the butter, microwave a tablespoon of butter on 30% power for 30 seconds or until softened. Spread the butter generously over the bread.
Preheat the air fryer to 390 degrees. Place one slice of bread, butter side down, in the preheated air fryer basket.
Sprinkle with 1/2 cup of cheese, then top with a second slice of bread, butter side facing out.
Toast the sandwich in the air fryer for 4-5 minutes until golden brown. With an air fryer, there is no need to flip the sandwich, since the air fryer cooks on both sides at the same time.
Slice the sandwich in half and enjoy immediately! If you want to take things to the next level, try adding a little tomato jam into your sandwich!