Lovely Homemade Air Fryer French Fries That You Can Make From Fresh Or Frozen Potatoes Crunchy Easy And Healthy Totally Kid Friendly Side Dish And Great For A Group Of Friends Or A Party Weight Watchers 7 Points
Who doesnt like french fries?
We dont eat in fast food places, but still want to get those crispy yummy fries sometimes, without grease, extra oil and all those nasty things that they put in there.
Air fryer to the rescue! Make perfect homemade crispy potato fries or wedges at your home in less then 30 minutes!
Best Way For Air Frying Frozen French Fries
Cook frozen french fries quickly and easily in air fryer. So good and crispy!
- 1/2 or 1lbof your favorite frozen french fries
Spray the basket of your air fryer with oil.
Pour 1/2 to 1 pound of frozen french fries into your air fryer, depending on its capacity.
Cook at 400° F / 200° C for 15-20 minutes, shaking the basket halfway through. Final cook time will depend on your air fryer’s capacity and the thickness and quantity of your fries. A good rule of thumb is to cook for 10 minutes, shake and check at 15 minutes to see if your fries need more time or are ready.
Plate and enjoy!
Do I Have To Cook Them In Batches
You will see a lot of recipes call for making air fryer french fries being cooked in a single layer. I find this is super unrealistic unless you are just cooking for one person. No one has time to cook 4 batches of french fries.
The fewer fries you have in your air fryer, the less time they will take to cook. And this can help with getting them crispy. BUT I find you can still get them just as crispy, it just takes a little longer. And honestly probably less time than if you going to have to make 3+ batches.
When adding my fries to my air fryer basket, I try to spread them out and make sure there is room for the hot air to flow evenly. I will slightly arrange and stack them, but with russet potatoes, they are still able to crisp up nicely without being so cautious .
Remember that all air fryer models vary so it could depend on your model as well. My Philips XXL works great for pilling in lots of food.
Recommended Reading: Kalorik 10l Airfryer Oven
Air Fryer Frozen Fries Top Tips
So, you are probably wondering, if you have been using the air fryer since 2011, and teaching people how to cook frozen French fries for 2 years, that you must have some top tips.
Well I do and these tips will make your air fryer fries even better:
- Never cook frozen fries at 200c/400f for the duration. I get so many complaints from air fryer newbies telling me they followed a frozen fries recipe online and it called for 400f and their fries are terrible. This is way too hot for frozen fries and is only meant for finishing the food like a grill does and not for the whole cooking experience. Instead start at 160c/320f and increase the temperature just before the end to crisp them up.
- Spray just before the end of cooking. Even though when you use frozen fries they already come will oil, you want that little bit of oil on the top to crisp them up.
- Salt at the end. We found that with frozen fries brands wanting to go healthier. That a lot less salt is used. Then as they cook some of the salt also disappears. Add salt at the end before serving.
- Thickness of the frozen fries matter. Thick steak fries will take the longest and quick cooking French fries will be the fastest. Start your cook time at 8 minutes if in doubt and then keep checking on your fries.
- Cheesy Fries are fantastic. Two minutes before your frozen fries are done add grated cheese and then finish the cook time. You will have perfect air fryer cheesy fries.
Tips For Getting The Best Crispy Fries
If you are not using a large 6 quart air fryer, work in batches for more even cooking.
If you are cooking thicker homestyle fries you can adjust the cook time as necessary.
Do not spray too much oil on the fries or they will not get super crispy like we want.
After the initial spray, do not spray the fries again.
If they are too close to being done the oil will make the fries turn soft.
If you have an air fryer that preheats, you can preheat it first. Mine does not preheat, so if yours does you will want to keep an eye out in case the fries cook faster.
These air fryer frozen french fries were just too good.
Serve them up with some copycat chick fil a sauce and some of your favorite nuggets and you have a takeout dinner at home.
These fries use a fraction of the oil of the typical deep fried ones, all while still getting those wonderful crispy edges that are so addicting!
p.s. I used this same method with frozen sweet potato fries and it worked like a charm!
Be sure to pin this recipe for later and follow for all the latest delicious recipes!
Did you make this recipe? Be sure to leave a star rating below!
You May Like: Costco Jimmy Dean Breakfast Bowls
Frozen Fries In Air Fryer
PSA: Your air fryer is the absolute best way to cook frozen french fries at home . Try it once, and youll never go back to oven-baked. Trust me.
It doesnt matter whether youve got a bag of crinkle-cut, waffle, shoestring, steak, or even curly fries: Frozen fries in the air fryer cook up with the most irresistible crispy edges and soft centers. The crisp-factor is higher than youll ever achieve from baking fries in the oven. And frozen fries in the air fryer are the closest youll get to crispy restaurant-style deep-fried fries, without the hassle of deep-frying. Heres what you need to know.
Top Tips For Air Fryer Frozen French Fries
- You can adjust the cooking time depending on how crispy you like your fries or how thick they are. For softer or thinner fries, decrease time. For crispier or thicker fries, increase it.
- If youre using an air fryer that doesnt rotate, toss your fries very, very well midway through. Make sure the fries that are sitting on the bottom of the bowl are scooped up to the top.
- If your air fryer does rotate, be sure to check on them halfway to judge how thoroughly cooked they are.
- Do not spray too much oil, or your fries will get mushy!
- You dont have to preheat your air fryer, but be aware that your cooking time may be longer!
- Try your fries with different seasonings for a more gourmet snack. Try garlic or onion powder, seasoned salt , or chipotle powder for fries with a kick.
Recommended Reading: Chefman 3.5 Liter Air Fryer Recipes
How To Make Them
Do You Have To Soak Fries Before Air Frying
Soaking potatoes in cold water can help release some of their starch and yield a crispy fry. That being said, I find it is not necessary when using the air fryer as the air gets hot enough to get them crispy. I have never soaked my potatoes and we get crispy fries all the time. If you want to try it, feel free to.
Recommended Reading: Club Chefman Air Fryer
What To Serve With Frozen French Fries
Ive got a ton of great air fryer recipes so why not have a look?
If you fancy making a little assortment of chicken dishes to accompany these then be sure to look at my air fryer chicken wings, air fryer chicken tikka or even air fryer stuffing balls if you fancy something different.
Frozen French Fries Air Fryer Style Are The Best Crispy Just Like At A Restaurant But Healthier Since You Do Not Have To Fry Them In Oil Game Changer
Making frozen french fries air fryer style was a game changer this afternoon! We were all surprised at how crispy they turned out, WAY better than in the oven. This and more easy air fryer recipes can be found here on The Typical Mom blog.
- Are you ready to air fry everything?? I would say we are because we use our machine at least once a day, maybe more.
If you love air fryer recipes too, here are some resources to start with:
That is all you will need. Of course youll want to pair this with a meal most likely.
My teens can make them without me which is nice. Just pop them in and theyre just as good as at a restaurant.
Also Check: Jimmy Dean Air Fryer
Lets Make Some French Fries
These frozen fries become transformed by the air fryer! In a matter of minutes you have incredible fries ready to be devoured. Its a total meal saver when you need a side dish to go with your ultimate tuna melt or toasted cheese. Or just when you need a salty good snack.
- Place: Place your frozen fries in the air fryer basket.
- Season: Spray with olive oil lightly and sprinkle with desired salt.
- Bake: Air fry at 400 degrees for 10 minutes. Give the basket a good shake and cook for 5-8 minutes more or till done as you like them.
How Long Do You Cook Frozen Fries In The Air Fryer
No need to search for air fryer frozen french fries time. Frozen french fries take about 15 minutes to make in the air fryer.
You will want to shake the basket half-way through for even cooking. If you want extra crispy french fries, cook for an additional 5 minutes.
Needless to say cooking frozen fries this way is so much more efficient than in the oven. They become crispy and cook perfectly in the air fryer.
No more soggy frozen fries in this house!
Recommended Reading: Air Fryer Fold Up
Cook Times For Different Types Of Frozen French Fries
Many frozen french fry brands now include air fryer instructions right on the bag. “I would recommend using the instructions indicated on the package as the manufacturer will have developed and tested the product many times,” says Diep.
If the fries don’t include instructions, the cook time will vary depending on the kind of fry and the thickness. This chart is a good starting point, but keep a close eye on the fries as they cook.
|Type of fry|
Quick tip: There’s no need to defrost french fries. “I recommend that frozen french fries be kept completely frozen before using,” says Diep. Thawing the fries will result in sad, soggy fries, so take them out of the freezer just before cooking.
Crispy Air Fryer Frozen French Fries
Gloriously crispy golden French fries that take absolutely zero effort to prepare. Theyre a real thing and they could be yours like right now! All you need is an Air Fryer and a bag of frozen French fries. I know, theyre not homemade, but thats not what this is about today. Besides, I have an entire post dedicated to making homemade Air Fryer French Fries, so check it out if thats what youre looking for.
For today, were keeping things simple, fast, and delicious. Youll never cook frozen fries in the oven again after youve tried these air fryer frozen French fries!
How To Cook Frozen Fries In Air Fryer
NOTE: This recipe was made using a Cosori 5.8qt air fryer. If using a different brand air fryer, you may need to adjust the cooking time by a minute or two to reach the desired doneness.
Recipe Tips And Notes
- Do not add parchment to the basket as itll block the flow of hot air that makes the the frozen fries super crispy.
- Do not thaw the fries before air frying.
- Got leftovers? Keep it in an airtight container in the fridge and reheat it at 350F for 3 to 4 minutes.
- The air fryer I have fit up to 2 bags of frozen fries. I usually just put in as much as I feel like eating. Feel free to put as much or as little as you want!
- Season with a light sprinkling of salt and pepper while its still warm or enjoy it as is.
What Temperature Do You Cook Fries In An Air Fryer
When theyre crisp and brown around the edges, take them out. To give the fries enough space in the basket, cook the remaining potatoes as many times as necessary. Throw them all in a bowl and serve. This post may contain links to Amazon or other partners your purchases via these links can benefit Serious Eats. Read more about our affiliate linking policy.
Crispy Air Fried French Fries In The Air Fryer
If youre cooking frozen french fries, you must try making them in the air fryer! Geez, its so quick and easy without any oil. Seriously, air fried frozen french fries are so crispy and crazy easy when cooked in the air fryer. Within minutes, we had a big batch of crispy hot french fries out of the air fryer. Once you know how to cook frozen french fries in the air fryer, youll never look back. The results are aways quick and crispy. Add a bowl of ketchup or your favorite sauce to dip the air fried french fries in and youll be a happy camper!
Also Check: Cordon Bleu Air Fryer
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- No more boring frozen fries at home. Tossing fries in garlic parmesan adds much delicious flavor, quickly elevating your at home frozen french fry experience!
- Better for you. Air fryer fries are much healthier for you than those fried in oil.
- So easy to make. The air fryer perfectly cooks fries in about 15 minutes, and while they cook, the garlic parmesan butter comes together in just 5 minutes.
- Restaurant quality. Eating fries at home doesn’t mean you should sacrifice on taste! The air fryer gets the fries nice and crispy and the garlic parmesan butter makes them taste like restaurant quality fries.
Pro Tips To Make The Best Air Fryer French Fries
When you want to make the best air fryer French fries follow these tips:
- Dont overcrowd the pan. Make sure they have space around them so they all get even exposure.
- Make sure to toss them halfway through cooking to ensure even cooking.
- Adjust times based on the thickness of the fries. Thinner fries will need less time than steak fries.
Read Also: Chicken Cordon Bleu Bites Frozen
Tips For Crispy Fries
For best results, always preheat the air fryer. When any food is added to the basket, the hot air immediately seals the outside guaranteeing a crispy exterior.
Avoid overcrowding the air fryer so the hot air can circulate around all sides of the fries.
If cooking in batches, keep fries warm in the oven. Prior to serving, add all batches back to the air fryer for 2 minutes to crisp and heat.
Is Cooking With An Air Fryer Healthy
Cooking in an air fryer is very simple you only have to put in your food with a light coat of oil and turn it on. The temperature will get up to 400 F all around the food and fry it without needing extra oil for cooking. Air-fried foods are usually healthier than any casual fried food in oil.
Because any air-fried foods exclude the 70% to 80% calories of any everyday fried foods. The cooking method of an air fryer is also safe, as you do not have to deal with any harmful effects of oil while frying.
A reaction of any fried starchy foods creates the acrylamide chemical. A recent study showed that an air fryer decreases the total amount of acrylamide in fried potatoes by about 90%. That acrylamide chemical is very dangerous as it can increase the chances of getting cancer.
Read Also: Jimmy Dean Omelets Costco
How To Make This Recipe
Detailed measurements and instructions can be found at the bottom of the page on the printable recipe card.