Air Fryer Vs Convection Oven
August 30, 2022 by Gordon Ramsay
Is there a difference between an air fryer and a convection oven? If thats the case, can you apply the same rule to them? Convection cooking, or hot air, is used by both air fryers and convection ovens to make meals uniformly, but they are variable in size, look, and frying capabilities.
Both air frying and convection baking are common methods for properly cooking and flavorful dishes. But how do you use an air fryer or a convection oven? What exactly is the distinction?
Find out how air fryers and convection ovens vary.
Air Fryer Vs Convection Oven: How Are They Different
- Copy and share the recipe link
Thinking about upgrading your old oven to a Chefman air fryer? Or perhaps you already have one and youre wondering if it is worth converting to a convection oven instead? Whether youre investing in an air fryer or thinking about keeping the oven that you already have, its easy to confuse between these two kitchen appliances.
Dont worry! In this article, we will discuss the debacle between air fryer vs convection oven once and for all: how are they different, their similarities, and finally, which one is better.
How Do You Cook Tater Tots In A Convection Oven
HOW TO COOK TATER TOTS IN A CONVECTION OVEN.
Also Check: How Long To Cook Chicken Wings In An Air Fryer
With Only Slight Differences Which Appliance Is Better
Air fryers and convection ovens are excellent kitchen appliances that can upgrade any dish. Similarly, the two use circulated, hot air distributed by a fan to cook food evenly. While the air fryer has a ventilated basket and is generally smaller in size, the food tends to cook more evenly and end up crispier. In a convection oven, you can cook more food as the surface area of a sheet pan is larger). For a convection oven, the food will cook evenly through but food won’t turn out as crispy as an air fryer .
With only so many square feet of counter space in your home, what appliance should you invest in for your kitchen? Fortunately, the evolution of cooking and cooking appliances means multi-use machines. Companies such as Fotile have created appliances like the ChefCubii 4-in1 Steam-Combi Oven to help knock two birds with one stone by serving as a convection oven and an air fryer. Now, you don’t have to choose one over the other.
What Do You Think About Air Fryers And Convection Oven
Both the air fryer and convection oven are great. It is hard for me to choose one over the other. In the future, Ill get these two cooking gadgets to update my kitchen. How about you, what is your decision?
Is there something I havent yet known about them? Just let me know in the comment section. Like and share with your friends. Thank you.
You May Like: Vortex Plus Air Fryer Oven
Why Is The Temperature Range Of The Countertop Pizza Oven So Important
The temperature range is not as important as it is the highest possible temperature. Why? Well, the main reason is the fact that in higher temperatures your homemade pizza will be baked in no time. Probably in less than 60 seconds. Which is sometimes better than in most of the noticeable pizzerias. And that is the fact. Most of the countertop pizza ovens can reach significant temperatures. And that is always a big plus.
Air Fryer Vs Convection Oven: Which Does Better French Fries
Let’s do some science. We took some frozen French fries from a well-known household name and cooked them in three kinds of appliance: a non-fan oven, a convection oven and an air fryer.
The first step was to preheat the appliance to 425ºF for the standard oven and 400ºF for the convection oven, as per the manufacturer’s instructions. Air fryers don’t need to run so hot so we preheated ours to 375ºF.
Straight away we saw one of the air fryer advantages: because it’s got a smaller area to pre-heat and doesn’t need to get so hot it was good to go after two minutes. Our countertop convection oven took about six minutes to reach its target temperature and our conventional oven fifteen.
We cooked the fries for the recommended time in both oven and convection oven and for slightly less in the air fryer , turning the fries halfway through cooking again, as per manufacturer’s recommendations. We put the fries on baking sheets for our two ovens and in the standard basket for our air fryer. We gave the air fryer fries a spray of vegetable oil at the beginning and halfway through.
The most important question, though, was how they tasted. And there was no doubt that the air fryer fries tasted best with that just-out-of-the-basket flavor you get from the best deep-fried food. The convection oven was a close second, a little less crispy and a little less tasty, and the standard oven came in a far third: some of its fries were like sticks and others were soggy.
Don’t Miss: Breville Smart Air Fryer Oven Cookbook
Air Fryer Basket Compatible With Cuisinart Toa
- Product UsageCompatible to replace various air fryer models such as TOA-65AB AirFryer basket. Can be used for cooking desserts, steak, fried chicken, bread, etc.
- High-Quality MaterialsThe product is made of thickened 304 food-grade stainless steel and applied fine polishing production process. It is non-artificial coating, non-toxic, tasteless, high temperature resistant, can be in direct contact with supporting food, durable, safe, and healthy.
- Practical Design ConceptThe sturdy fence design structure can protect your food from accidentally falling due to a slight tilt. The hole spacing is reasonable, and the wavy wire mesh design is adopted to prevent food residue from sticking and is suitable for a wide range of food types.
- Simple CleanThe structure is firm, not easy to deform, and durable. It can be safely cleaned in the dishwasher, 360° clean without dead ends, not easy to hide dirt, and ensure your food safety.
- DimensionsA single product is 11.4 in length, 9.8 in width, 2 in height, and weighs 16oz. It is compatible with other convection oven models on the market.
All Things About A Convection Oven
A convection oven, or a fan oven, is a popular oven type that uses a fan system to circulate air around foods to cook them, resulting in extremely equal heat distribution. Because of the enhanced air circulation, the convection oven bakes food quicker than a traditional non-fan oven.
A usual convection oven looks like a rectangular box with a door opened from the front. Additionally, the oven has 2 trays inside the food chamber: a hidden bake tray and a slotted metal tray.
Also Check: Power Air Fryer Pro Elite
Okay So What Is The Difference
Despite their similarly golden, crisp results, Air Fry differs from convection baking and vice versa. Their differences are mainly rooted in the speed at which the convection fans operate and the temperature of the oven. Compared to convection, Air Fry steps it up on both counts.
In terms of when you should use either setting, Air Fry is recommended for foods that cook with dry heat or that you would roast, bake, and fry. To list a few examples, pre-fried frozen foods, like chicken tenders, pizza rolls, and fish sticks, get appealingly crispy when baked with the Air Fry setting.
In addition, you can achieve great results from vegetables youd roast or grill, potatoes, chicken wings, hot dogs , and from-scratch foods that mimic pre-fried frozen foods, like mozzarella sticks and crab cakes. That said, dont be afraid to experiment.
Pro tip: When using the Air Fry setting, use minimal oil to avoid soggy results. Lightly spray, using no more than 1 tablespoon of oil. Avocado, grapeseed, peanut, and extra-light olive oils achieve the crispiest results. Extra-virgin olive oil and other vegetable oils can cause food to dry up quickly and prevent them from getting crispy.
With a few exceptions, you can bake just about anything with the convection setting. Roasted meats thrive when heated in a convection oven, as the drier environment cooks them more thoroughly and brings out the spicy and herbal flavors of marinated skins.
Ninja Sp101 Digital Air Fry Countertop Oven With 8
- DIGITAL CRISP CONTROL TECHNOLOGY: Precision-controlled temperature, heat source, and airflow for ultimate versatility and optimum cooking performance.
- 8-IN-1 VERSATILITY: The ultimate meal-making machine with 8-in-1 functionality: Air Fry, Air Roast, Air Broil, Bake, Bagel, Toast, Dehydrate, and Keep Warm all in one powerful, 1800-watt appliance.
- LESS FAT: Eat all of your air fried favorites guilt-free with up to 75% less fat when using the Air Fry function vs. traditional deep frying. Tested against hand-cut, deep fried French Fries.
- FASTER COOKING: Cooks up to 60% faster than a traditional oven on Air Roast 60-second preheat full meals in as little as 20 minutes.
- LARGE CAPACITY: 45% larger usable pan cooking area vs. the flat surface area of the Cuisinart toa-60 and toa-65 pan. Fits a 13 Pizza, up to 9 slices of toast, or 6 chicken breasts .
- RECLAIM YOUR COUNTER SPACE: Takes up 50% less space when you flip it up and away to store against your kitchen backsplash.
- SELECT TOAST DONENESS: Toast and bagels done the way you like with a toast darkness selector to get it just right.
- EASY CLEANING: Includes a removable crumb tray and an easily accessible back panel for deep cleaning.
- WHATS INCLUDED: Countertop Oven, Air Fry Basket, Sheet Pan, Wire Rack & Removable Crumb Tray.
Additional Info :
Read Also: Any Tizers Popcorn Chicken Air Fryer
What An Air Fryer Is
An air fryer is basically a more compact version of a convection oven that provides more portability . Like convection ovens, they feature high-powered fans that circulate hot air, allowing food to be prepared hastily and uniformly while needing minimal oil.
Air fryers usually have larger fans than befits their size. For this reason, they can preheat and cook your food at a faster pace. An air fryer also has its fan and heating element placed on its top instead of on its back. This positioning enables the rapid cooking of food. However, the design may result in uneven cooking, and therefore, you need to shake your basket from time to time to maintain even cooking.
Pros of an Air Fryer
- Food cooks more rapidly- Air fryers allow for quicker hot air movement than convection ovens, given their smaller size. Being able to get your food ready within a shorter period saves you time.
- Space-saving design: Air fryers feature a tinier and more portable size than convection ovens. They occupy less space on your counter and allow you to store them in pantries and cabinets easily.
- Allow cooking of frozen foods effortlessly: Given their powerful fans, they cook frozen meals swiftly and with ease. The continuous stream of hot air quickly drives away moisture to ensure the food doesn’t become mushy while cooking.
Cons of an Air Fryer
The Upsides Of Convection Ovens
Convection ovens cant be more popular in recent days. What makes it important like that? Here are the pros when using the convection oven.
- Good at baking: A convection oven not only is excellent at crisping and browning but also maintains enough moisture in food. For example, the dry and warm air inside the oven excels at making caramel for baking.
- Require short time: The fast air movement will shorten the cooking time.
- Even cooking: Because of hot air circulation in the food case, foods are cooked evenly in a convection oven.
- Large capacity: It offers a big food case with racks and trays, so you dont have to worry about not having enough space to cook a whole chicken.
- Energy-efficient: Convection cooking often results in a shorter time and lower temperature, consuming less power than traditional ovens.
Don’t Miss: What Can You Make In The Air Fryer
Xrpyz Electric Countertop Pizza Oven
Im pretty sure by now you know what are the real advantages of the countertop pizza oven compared to the others. This oven is not different by all means. At first sight it looks really small. But make no mistake, it can fit pizzas up to 16 inches.
This electric countertop pizza oven is both great for home and commercial use. It doesnt require any preheating and your pizza can be done in less than 15 minutes.
External look of the oven is pretty simple. It is made of stainless steel which gives the silver look to the oven. Material itself is great because it will assure durability and safety of the oven while keeping your food at high hygienic standards. The oven has one pizza deck with no glass door and with no interior light. This can be tricky so please have this in mind before deciding.
On the right side of the oven there are two black knobs, one for the temperature, and one for time setting. The temperature range of this oven is from 0-350°C. On the other knob you can set time from 0-60 minutes. After the timer reaches the set time, it will turn off automatically.
The last, but not the least important is the fact that you can easily clean this electric countertop pizza oven. And you can store it wherever you want.
Which Is Better Convection Oven Or Air Fryer
How do you know which of these two devices will be the best choice for you? That depends on what you plan on cooking the most and how much you want to cook.
If you are looking for the most versatile cooking device then you would probably want to go with the air fryer. With an air fryer the main advantage you’ll get is being able to fry foods.
Another thing is that the air fryer is better at grilling foods as well. In addition to this you can still roast or bake foods just like you could do with a convection oven.
The second thing you would want to consider is the quantity of food you will be preparing. In general air fryers are much smaller than convection ovens.
If you are cooking for a family and you don’t want to spend the time to cook your meals in several batches, then you would want to go with the convection oven.
Also if you want to cook larger items like a whole chicken or ham, your best bet is to get a convection oven. However, some companies have started producing larger capacity air fryers for this exact purpose.
Another thing to consider is the amount of space you have in your kitchen. Because convection ovens are large they will require quite a bit of room on your counter top. Also because they are larger storing them out of site when not in use is not really a reasonable option.
If you get a convection oven be sure you are okay with it being a somewhat permanent fixture in your kitchen.
You May Like: Ge Gas Range With Air Fryer
Fitnet Commercial Pizza Oven 14
If you are searching for an ideal pizza oven in which you can bake in the two decks at the same time, then your final choice must be this commercial pizza oven countertop 14. It is perfectly suitable for large family gathering or commercial use because of its large capacity double layer. In this oven you can pretty easily bake pizza, pretzels, potatoes, bread, cakes and other snacks. The material of this oven is stainless steel which ensures durability and safety of the oven and most importantly it preserves hygiene food standards.
This countertop pizza oven is simple to use because of its considerate design. It has a double deck layer, and both of them have a glass window which is super secure because it is made of high quality explosion-proof glass. Moreover, in the oven you can find an interior light which is adjustable. With this oven you will no longer burn your hands on the handle because the handle on it is made of temperature resistant plastic.
Because of the interior lighting and the glass window doors you can easily check the status of your food at any time. Which is very important. In this multipurpose snack oven you can easily control the temperature because it has two knobs on the right side of the oven with which you can adjust the temperature from 122-662. When you bake the pizzas you do not need to preheat the oven.
Air Fryer Vs Convection Oven: What’s The Difference
The latest craze in meal planning, food preparation, and TikTok recipes is the famous air fryer. With complete versatility, air fryers can bake a flakey piece of salmon, or a sizzling steak, and heat up your favorite frozen fries. It appears as though the air fryer has taken a front seat in just about every heating and warming food preparation. In local supermarkets like Trader Joe’s, air frying instructions can be seen as the preferred heating option for some of their best sellers.
Small, adaptable, and resourceful, can the air fryer replace other kitchen appliances and gadgets in your home? While the popularity of air fryers has soared, it raised questions about the need for an air fryer and a convection oven. To help distinguish the differences between the classic versus hip kitchen appliance, we dived into the core and fundamental differences between an air fryer and a convection oven.
Don’t Miss: The Sharper Image Air Fryer