How To Make Crispy Sweet Potato Fries In The Air Fryer:
- Start by making sure you cut them all the same size. This way, everything cooks at the same time, without burning, overcooking or under-cooking some.
- Dont overcrowd the basket. One small sweet potato will fit perfect but if its slightly larger, do them in batches. To make sure they are all hot at the same time, you can add the batches that are cooked back in the air fryer and heat them up 1 minute so everything is hot.
- Dont forget to turn them halfway. This is a must, the heat on the bottom is stronger than the top so turning is a must.
- Open to test for doneness. Dont be afraid to open the air fryer to check to see if they are done. If your fries are cut a little thicker, they will take longer to cook.
- Bake at 400F. I found this gave me the crispest fry.
Why Are My Sweet Potatoes Fries Not Crispy
The biggest thing thatll keep your sweet potato fries from crisping is if there are too many fries in the air fryer at one time. While the air fryer is a great appliance that really excels at crisping food quickly, it does require the food to be in a single layer for best results. If youre using the amount of sweet potato that we suggest , you should have no problem with keeping the fries in a single layer, but if youre doubling the recipe, youll need to work in several batches!
How To Cook Frozen Sweet Potato Fries In The Air Fryer
You can also cook store bought frozen sweet potato fries in the air fryer. The method is very similar to cooking homemade sweet potato fries:
- Preheat the air fryer to 380° F for 5 minutes.
- Arrange frozen fries in a single layer with a bit of space in between each fry.
- Air fry at 380° F for 10-14 minutes total, flipping after 8 minutes. Fries are done when they are browned on the edges, crispy and cooked through.
- The exact cook time may vary between brands of frozen fries and different air fryer models.
Don’t Miss: Things You Can Cook With An Air Fryer
Tips For Making Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries:
Its best to space these out well to allow them to cook evenly, which means you will likely need to do multiple batches unless you have that great new Ninja Foodi Double Air Fryer!
Its also a must to turn these halfway through the cooking time, you want them to cook evenly on both sides. Id say you should be able to fit about 1 sweet potato at a time into the air fryer depending on the size of yours in an even row.
Another quick tip, if you want to keep them warm in between batches, place them on a sheet pan as soon as they come out of the air fryer and into the oven at 220*F, this just keeps them warm while the other batches are cooking.
Crispy Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries
Making sweet potato fries in the air fryer is so much healthier than frying, and reduces the fat and calories, without sacrificing taste.
Since buying my air-fryer , Ive been keeping it on my counter and using it everyday. You may have seen my air fryer french frie recipe a few weeks ago, well so many of you have asked for sweet potato fries so I finally got around to it. I tested them out a few different temperatures to see which gave me perfect, crispy fries and heres what I found. You can also bake them in the oven, see my oven baked sweet potatoes recipe.
Recommended Reading: Eric Theiss Power Air Fryer Oven
What Is Sweet Potato
Sweet potatoes are edible tuber that comes from the plant Ipomoea batatas. The sweet potatos flesh ranges in color from white to yellow and orange, and sometimes even purple. Sweet potatoes can be fried or baked and eaten as a side dish or used as ingredients for other dishes such as pies and casseroles. Sweet potatoes may also be ground up to form flour which can be turned into bread and desserts. Unprocessed sweet potatoes should be stored in a cool, dry place where they will last about 10 days. However, once processed into flour or another product, they should be refrigerated. Sweet potatoes consist of complex carbohydrates that provide energy for the body throughout the day many eat sweet potatoes to help give them an energy boost in the mid-afternoon. Sweet potato nutrition facts provide details about how eating this food can affect the body.
What Are Sweet Potatoes Made Of
Sweet potatoes are made up of about 90% carbohydrates, 3% protein, and less than 6% fat. They contain many A-type proanthocyanidins , which act as antioxidants when consumed by people they may also aid in preventing certain types of cancer. Sweet potatoes contain alpha-carotene, beta-carotene, vitamin C and E, manganese, dietary fiber, and potassium. In addition, sweet potatoes provide a number of essential vitamins, such as Vitamin B6 and folic acid. Sweet potatoes also provide a number of important minerals, including calcium, copper, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, and zinc.
Don’t Miss: Air Fryer Pros And Cons
Tips For Making Fried Chicken In An Air Fryer
- Adjust temperature setting according to your air fryer. There are many brands and models of air fryers so they all differ in their settings. You may even find that following my exact temperature and time may not be right for your specific air fryer. So use this as a suggestion and tweak to your own.
- Dont overcrowd the basket. Its tempting to throw in a lot of pieces of chicken in there at once. But if you overcrowd the basket and the chicken overlap, you may end up creating a steaming effect instead of crisping effect. If you run out of space, you can also place the chicken on the walls of the air fryer, which works pretty well.
- Flip the chicken halfway through. The air will circulate all around the chicken, but youll get more even crispiness if you flip the chicken halfway.
Why Makeseasoned Sweet Potatofries In The Air Fryer
Seasoned fries is everything in my opinion I literally make almost everything in my air fryer these days because of the sheer convenience of cooking in it. I make everything from cookies to toast to chicken breasts you name it.
Even leftover pizza, chicken and fries arent left out of the fun. My air fryer is that important to me.
I have made delicious frozen French fries and sweet potato fries in my air fryer, however I knew making crispy sweet potato fries in there might be a bit tricky, believe no me when I say it turned out better than I expected and it even bested my oven.
If you are holding back on making fries from scratch in your air fryer here are a few reasons you should be making some air fried potatoes.
- These potato fries are tasty and well seasoned, no bland fries here
- Baked Sweet potato fries cook faster in the air fryer than in the oven.
- They crisp up the same weather made in the oven or in the air fryer.
- Compared to deep frying, you need less oil and as surprising as it may be even less oil is needed to make these chips in the air fryer than in the oven.
- Less oil equals less fat, more calories and healthier a alternative
- The only draw back is youd need to make multiple batches to feed a family of 4
Also Check: Reviews On Air Fryer Ovens
How To Get The Fries To Crisp
The first step is to soak the sweet potatoes in water to remove the excess starch from the potatoes. You should also coat them in cornstarch which will help get them crispy. Get more tips on How to Make Crispy Sweet Potato Frieshere.
You will also need to spray oil on the fries. If you make the fries with no oil, it will be difficult to produce crispy fries.
What Is An Air Fryer And Is It A Good Investment
An air fryer is a kitchen appliance used for cooking for really any and everything. There is a basket that food is placed in to cook. The air fryer blows heat around the space, which crisps up the outer surface of food. The air fryer is my TOP kitchen gadget and I use it weekly and sometimes daily. I love it because it cooks anything quickly and evenly.
Also Check: Gma Air Fryer Chocolate Chip Cookies
How To Cut Sweet Potatoes Into Fries
I like to use a fry cutter because its quick and painless. This also helps get the fries at an even size, which is great for ensuring all of the fries cook evenly in the air fryer.
If using a fry cutter, you will need to soften the sweet potatoes in the microwave for a few minutes first.
If you dont use a fry cutter, rinse and peel the potatoes. Place the sweet potatoes on a cutting board, and slice off 1/4 of an inch from each side. Roll the potato onto the flattest side. Slice the potatoes lengthwise into 1/2 inch planks. Cut each plank into fries 1/2 of an inch thick.
Why Youll Love This Recipe
- Only 2-3 basic ingredients!
- Makes perfectly “baked” sweet potato every time! The skin stays crispy while the inside is soft and tender.
- Very little clean up! All you’ll have to clean is the air fryer basket. HOWEVER, if you add a layer of foil on the bottom of the basket and place the sweet potatoes on top, you don’t need to clean anything at all!
- Save on electricity: Using the oven makes the entire house hot and uses a lot of electricity. The air fryer does not!
- Quick and easy gluten-free, paleo and Whole30 compliant side dish.
You May Like: Nuwave Brio 3q Digital Air Fryer
How To Cook Frozen Sweet Potato Fries
The procedure is quite simple. There is no need to even thaw before transferring into a basket. The only thing you need to do is set the temperature and the cooking time. As they cook, turn them over to ensure theyve been evenly cooked. In addition, you can add salt and spices during the halfway point. Serve and enjoy.
Why Cook Salmon In An Air Fryer
Honestly, this is the most succulent salmon and it is really cooked to perfection! Its so easy to throw together and clean-up is a breeze. I love that its hands off so you can prepare the rest of your meal without worrying about flipping the salmon or splattering oil. Also, its healthier than shallow frying the fish, and the results really do speak for themselves!
Recommended Reading: Health Benefits Of Air Fryers
How To Make Sweet Potato Fries In An Air Fryer
How to make sweet potato fries in an air fryer. Dont stand between a girl and her French fries and sweet potatoes: she doesnt want to share them when the fries are crisp and healthy. Although its okay to take out a whole basket of potato chips sometimes, you dont feel that. As all potato chip lovers can attest, life and reality will become more interesting if we eat potato chips regularly. We want and do it for our health.The sweet potato fries are much delicious as made in your favorite restaurant. You can make French fries with a bit of oil or use no oil and make delicious recipes instantly. But remember that fries with less oil become browner and may have a burning taste. However, it is an oil and fat-free dish that is much healthy for you.
Best Extra Large Air Fryer
Are Sweet Potatoes Healthy
Eating sweet potatoes on a regular basis can benefit the body in several ways:
Sweet potatoes contain Vitamin A, which is essential for good vision, among other things. Eating enough Vitamin A from foods such as Sweet Potatoes can reduce the risk of age-related macular degeneration . AMD is a condition that results in a loss of central vision because of damage to the retina caused by free radicals or oxidative stress on cells in the eye. Sweet potatoes may also help lower cholesterol levels while increasing HDL good cholesterol levels. In addition, Sweet potatoes contain beta-carotene, an antioxidant that stimulates immune function and decreases the risk of cancer.
Sweet potatoes are also high in fiber, which can help prevent heart disease, diabetes mellitus type 2, constipation, hemorrhoids, and obesity, among other things. Sweet potatoes are also high in Vitamin B6 or pyridoxine. This healthy nutrient helps lower homocysteine levels in the body. Homocysteine is a compound that has been linked to atherosclerosis , osteoporosis, and even Alzheimers disease.
Also Check: Nuwave Air Fryer And Pressure Cooker
Sweet Potato Fries Air Fryer:
Crispy exterior, soft and pillowy interior, perfectly seasoned sweet potato fries! These crispy sweet potato fries are made in the air-fryer, and only use a small amount of oil.
Sweet potato fries made in the air fryer are a great, healthy alternative to deep fried fries. The small amount of oil means less fat and calories, without sacrificing flavor. And the air fryer means crispy, tasty, fries, within minutes if your not a fan of sweet potatos try Air Fryer Fries.
Sweet potatoes are so versatile you can mash them and make a sweet potato casserole, scallop them, make a pie, or air fry. If you dont have an air fryer, dont stress, I have included oven instructions as well.
Raise your hands if you love fries? Oh man, both hands up over here. But I can be a little picky when it comes to my fries. I like a crispy exterior, soft interior, and if I can get them with less oil, then hallelujah. I mean, I want to be so into healthy eating and everything, but I am more of a moderation in all things kind of girl.
And I do love my fries. That is one of the top reasons I am currently crushing on all things air fryer.
How To Store Leftovers
- Store: First, let the leftover completely cool at room temperature. Then, refrigerate leftover in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- To freeze: It is best to freeze them in a single layer on a baking sheet until solid. Once solid, transfer the wedges to an airtight container or ziptop bag and freeze them for up to 3 months.
- To reheat: Pop them in a preheated oven at 350 degrees F for about 5-7 minutes. Alternatively, rewarm leftover fries in the air fryer at 380 degrees f for about 5 minutes.
Read Also: How Much Does An Air Fryer Cost At Walmart
Is Air Fried Chicken Healthy
The whole concept of an air fryer is fast-circulating air at very high temperatures. In this process, the moisture from the outside of the chicken gets evaporated, creating a crisp crust. So you get the texture of fried food without frying the chicken in a whole pan of oil.
This way youll make chicken healthier because it will have less fat and less calories from not using much oil for cooking. Just like oven baked chicken is healthy, air fried chicken is healthy of course as part of an overall balanced diet.
The Air Fryer You Use Makes A Difference
I own two different air fryers, and tested these fries in both models, because the difference is HUGE. Make sure you know the watts of your machine, so that you can choose the appropriate cooking time.
- 900 watt oven: Cook the fries for 18 to 20 minutes at 360ºF, turning after 12 minutes.
- 1500 watt oven: Cook the fries for 10 to 12 minutes at 360ºF, turning after 8 minutes.
- 1700 watt oven: Cook the fries for 10 minutes at 360ºF, turning after 7 minutes.
Read Also: Ninja Grill Air Fryer Combo
Ingredients Needed For Sweet Potatoes In The Air Fryer
Just a few simple ingredients, things you probably already have on hand and you are enjoying some tasty sweet potatoes!
- olive oil
- salt-I like to use a larger grain like kosher salt for this recipe
- garlic powder
- cayenne-just a pinch because a little goes a long way! You can also leave this out if you do not like spicy food.
- 1/8 tspcayenne
How To Make Air Fryer Salmon
Cut the salmon fillets into even sizes and pre heat your air fryer. You can also purchase them already pre-cut into the fillets. You can remove the skin if youd like, but its not necessary to do so.
Season each fillet with garlic, paprika, salt and pepper and drizzle a little olive oil on top. The paprika really gives the salmon a beautiful browned color when cooked, so I love adding it to salmon. Make sure to rub the spices in for best flavor, and then place the salmon in the air fryer.
Depending on the thickness of the salmon and the exact air fryer you have, the time could range. But on average, expect the air fryer salmon to be cooked within 7-9 minutes thats it! Youll know its ready when it flakes off easily. Then youre ready to serve it.
Read Also: What Is A Ninja Air Fryer
Overview Of Air Fryers
Youve probably been hearing more and more about air fryers lately. They are basically a kitchen appliance that you can set on your countertop. They cook food by circulating hot air around the food the way that a convection oven would. However, the speed at which it circulates the hot air is much faster than a convection oven. And because of this speed, the result mimics that of deep fried golden crispy food.
Its the perfect combination of hot air with high speed circulation all around the food that cooks evenly, quickly and crispy. I was recently at a housewares show in Chicago learning about new kitchen appliances the air fryer is all the rage right now!