Heres How To Make Homemade Potato Chips In The Air Fryer
Clean and dry the potatoes. Slice them into thin slices using a sharp knife, mandolin slicer or a food processor slicing blade.
Tip! Make sure the slices are similar in size and evenly cut, uneven slices will cause the potato chips to cook unevenly.
Place the potato slices into a large bowl of cold water and let them soak for about 30 minutes. Drain the potato slices and dry them well with a towel or paper towel.
Tip! Soaking the potato slices in water will help to remove the excess starch from the potatoes.
Once the potatoes are dried off, place the potato slices into a large bowl and add the olive oil toss to coat all of the slices with the oil.
Place potato slices in the air fryer basket or tray in a single layer and sprinkle with sea salt.
Set the temperature on your air fryer to 400 degrees f, and follow the instructions on your air fryer to cook the potatoes. They should start to turn brown after about 15 minutes. Cooking time can vary depending on your air fryer.
Tip! Some chips will begin to turn brown and crispy before others, remove them from the air fryer as soon as they are golden brown and crispy.
Why Do I Have To Soak The Potato Slices
You need to remove most of the excess starch from your chips or they will get blown into a clump in your air fryer.
Your potatoes will be soaked in cold water to remove that excess potato starch. It also helps them be crispier.
I do want to warn you that some of the slices will stick together during cooking even with soaking, so you will have to separate them some in between cooking.
How Long Do You Cook Potato Chips In An Air Fryer
After testing this recipe multiple times, I find its best to cook them at 300°F for 16 minutes and then raise the temperature to 400°F for the final 3-5 minutes. It produces very crispy chips without much browning or burning.
Shake and stir after 8 minutes, and then check and shake every 2 minutes after 16 minutes. It takes about 20 minutes in total to cook 30 slices .
Note: The cooking time depends on the thickness of the potatoes and how full the basket is.
Don’t Miss: Instant Pot Air Fryer Dehydrator
Tips And Variations For Crispy Potato Chips
- Dry: Make sure you dry off your potato slices completely. This way they dont steam first, they just cook and crisp!
- Check it: As you check them make sure you remove any that are done, so they dont burn while the others finishing crisping.
- Thinner is better: If you have a mandolin, use it, itll make sure theyre good and even and thin. If you dont, you can still make these potato chips. Try to keep the slices as even as possible. They will be thicker so dont hesitate to cook them a bit longer.
- Potatoes: Use Russets or Yukon, or Golden potatoes for the best results. Red potatoes have too much starch to get them good and crisp.
- Oil: Make sure the oil is high smoke, canola and avocado are also good options. Avoid aerosol type sprays with additives, they can gum up your air fryer over time.
- Flavor Variations: Just about every time I turn around there is new flavor of potato chip out there. Feel free to experiment with your own flavors. Add BBQ seasoning, ranch, chili or chipotle chili powder. Even make your own cheddar potato chips with cheese powder. YUM! Toss the flavorings on the potato chips as soon theyre done cooking.
What You Need To Make Homemade Potato Chips In Your Air Fryer
You just need simple ingredients to make these crispy air fryer potato chips. You will need thin slices of potatoes and I suggest slicing them with a mandoline. I used this OXO handheld mandoline slicer because its inexpensive and easier to store than a full-sized one.
Note: When using a mandoline ALWAYS use the handle to protect your hands. I go a step farther and use a safety glove made to protect my fingers from getting cut by accident.
For this recipe, I made a big batch so I sliced up enough potatoes to make 8 cups, but you can always make a smaller or larger batch.
So you just need thinly sliced potatoes, seasoning blend, and optionally salt or spray oil if you want.
Read Also: Instant Pot Vortex Dehydrator
Are Air Fryer Chips Healthier Than Fried Or Oven Chips
Yes! They use a small fraction of the oil needed in a traditional deep fryer. They are just as crispy and delicious as fried chips without the added grease and unhealthy oil.
Also, when you make chips at home, you can control how much salt you use. Store bought, fried chips are loaded with salt, which makes them much worse for your heart health.
How To Make Tortilla Chips In Air Fryer No Oil
Brush tortillas with olive oil on both sides.Cook at 350 for 3 minutes, open the basket, flip the chips, spray with.Cook at 350f for 7 minutes , shaking the basket halfway through the cooking time.Cook for 4 to 6 minutes, depending on your preferred level of golden brown and crispiness.
Cook in batches if needed.Cut each tortilla into quarters to form triangles.Cut the tortilla wraps into chip shapes.Depending on the size of your air fryer, you might need to fry them in batches.
Do not overcrowd the basket.Drain and rinse the potatoes.Every air fryer brand will cook at different speeds so be sure to monitor your chips.Flip the chips halfway through the cooking process.
Here are just a few ways to enjoy your chips:How to make tortilla chips in the air fryer:I did not flip the chips.I use kitchen scissors to cut my flour tortillas into shape because it is easier than cutting them with a knife and literally takes 30 seconds!
In a small bowl, whisk together the oil and seasonings of choice .It usually takes about 3 minutes to be ready.Its fine if they overlap a little, since they will move around as soon as the air starts circulating.Lay tortilla triangles in a single layer in the air fryer basket and try not to overlap.
Layer half of the potato slices in the air fryer, in no.Let soak for 30 minutes.Lightly spray with cooking spray and sprinkle with coarse salt.Line in the air fryer basket, making sure to not overlap.
You May Like: Accessories For Instant Vortex Air Fryer
Healthy Air Fryer Potato Chips Recipe
Who doesnt like potato chips? They are crispy, crunchy, and addictive! But the store-bought potato chips are high in fat and sodium. By making them at home, youll have full control of the fat level and seasonings. You can now enjoy them without feeling guilty. Plus, its so much cheaper than buying at the store!
Cooking potato chips in an air fryer is a game-changer! It allows you to get the crispy texture without the need to deep-frying the chips in tons of oil!
Why You’ll Love These Air Fryer Potato Chips
- Easy, Not Greasy This recipe only uses 2 tsp of olive oil for the whole batch, so you can feel good about snacking on these! It taste like a deep fry, but it’s definitely not!
- All That and a Bag of Chips Preparing fresh, homemade potato chips is one way to elevate a less than fancy meal. When serving comfort food, like burgers or sandwiches to company, these homemade potato chips will make the meal seem thoughtful and indulgent, rather than casual. It also takes less than 15 minutes to cook!
Recommended Reading: Instant Pot Air Fryer Dehydrator
Whats The Best Potato To Use
I may be a little biased, but I do love my Idaho Potatoes. But contrary to popular belief that goes far beyond humble russet potatoes and includes the multicolored fingerlings I used in these photos.
Russets are the go-to potato for chips that you buy in the store. Sometimes youll see some purple, red, or Yukon gold potatoes used for chips.
Gold and purple potatoes are also floury and a good option. I also had great results with air frying fingerling red potatoes.
Ingredients For The Best Air Fryer Potato Chips
Only a few ingredients are needed to make air fryer potato chips. Its so simple. Nothing you cant pronounce is in them, no preservatives, just good wholesome chips!
- Russet Potatoes: This recipe calls for 2 medium sized, feel free to double it if you desire.
- Olive Oil Spray: You can also use canola or avocado oil spray.
- Sea Salt: I like the way this sticks nicely to the potato chips.
You May Like: Instant Pot With Dehydrator
Make Crispy Potato Chips In Your Air Fryer This Homemade Snack Just Got A Whole Lot Better
Thanks to the air fryer, you can whip up guilt-free snacks with record speed. We love making air fryer recipes because theyre delicious and healthy-ish. With only four simple ingredients, these crunchy homemade potato chips have struck the perfect tasty-indulgent balance.
If youre an air fryer newbie, weve got the essential resources for you. To start, check out our Test Kitchens favorite air fryers, so youre sure to serve up some seriously crispy and delicious potato chips. Once youve chosen the fryer thats right for you, bookmark this air fryer guide that will answer all of your burning questions. Now, lets get air frying!
Storing Air Fryer Potato Chips
- Room Temperature: Store leftover potato chips in an airtight container or plastic storage bag. You can pop them in your pantry or leave them on the counter. They should stay fresh for up to two weeks.
- Freezer: If you have leftover chips you want to freeze, place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Pop the entire baking sheet in the freezer. Once the chips are completely frozen, transfer them to a freezer-safe plastic storage bag. To reheat them, pop them in the air fryer for a couple of minutes until crispy. Cool to room temperature and enjoy!
Don’t Miss: Reviews Of Power Air Fryer 360
Troubleshooting: Why Are My Air Fryer Potato Chips Burnt Or Soggy
The two biggest problems with cooking potato chips at home are that they burn quickly or are soggy in the middle. Some simple tips will help you to avoid the issue.
Slice the potatoes thinly and evenly: Uneven slices can cause some potatoes to overcook and burn while others are still soggy. Thicker slices take longer to cook, and are more easily to get dark spots on the surface while the middle is still soggy. Using a mandolin slicer is the best way to avoid this problem.
Dry your potato slices completely: If theres still some moisture on the surface when adding the slices into the basket, theyre more likely to get soggy. Also make sure you rinse them properly and get rid of the starch before you dry them.
Dont fill your basket too full: I find its best to cook one potato at a time . When the basket is too full, the chips get cooked unevenly, making some burnt while others are still soft and soggy.
Monitor carefully during the final high-temperature cooking: I recommend checking every 2 minutes after 16 minutes to avoid burnt chips and dark spots.
How To Make Air Fryer Potato Chips
Making air fryer potato chips only requires a handful of wholesome ingredients and a few simple steps. Below, find a high-level overview of the recipe before you dive in.
- Thinly Slice the Potatoes: Using a sharp knife or mandolin slicer , cut your potatoes into thin slices.
- Soak the Potatoes: Place the potato slices in cold water to remove excess starch. Soak the potatoes for around 20 minutes.
- Drain and Season the Potatoes: Drain the water from the potato slices with a colander. Using paper towels, pat the potatoes dry of any excess moisture. Season them generously with sea salt and a tiny bit of olive oil.
- Air Fry the Potatoes: Place potato slices into the air fryer basket in one or two layers. Air fry them at 200°F for 20 minutes. Toss the potato chips and turn up the heat to 400°F. Air fry for an additional 5 minutes.
- Serve and Enjoy: Remove the potato chips from the air fryer and place them into a large bowl. Allow the chips to cool to room temperature. Enjoy!
Should I air fryer my chips in a single layer? Typically, its recommended that you never stack food in an air fryer. However, since the potato chips are so thin, you can get away with air frying two layers at once. Just make sure to give them a good toss during the cooking process!
Also Check: Accessories For Instant Vortex Air Fryer
More Air Fryer Loving Recipes To Try
Air Frying is the new way to cook! Its basically a convection oven that fits on your counter. Because it uses circulating air to do all the frying its so much healthier for you. You dont need to add a ton of extra oil or have your food go swimming in it to get that crispy crust. Cooking with an air fryer is also usually a faster way to cook. You have to try these tried and true recipes the next time you get your air fryer out!
Why Do You Soak Potatoes In Water Before Frying
Soaking the potatoes for at least 20 minutes in cold water will help to remove the starch from the potato slices.
Starch makes the slices stick together. When you are trying to make CRISPY chips, you dont want them sticking together.
My favorite way to season these potato chips in the air fryer, is my French Fry Seasoning.
It is the perfect balance of spice and salt to bring out the flavor of the potato.
Read Also: Instant Pot Vortex Dehydrator Recipes
Tips To Make Air Fryer Sweet Potato Chips Even Better
- Dont pack too many Sweet Potato slices in your air fryer! That way your chips will come out unevenly cooked and not as crispy as they can be.
- The best way to go about it is to just spread out your potato slices in one single layer with a little space between all of them.
- While your potato chips are cooking in the air fryer dont forget to flip them in between to the other side. This way you will ensure that your sweet potato chips will be evenly air-fried on both sides.
- Use Seasoned Salt for extra burst of flavors.
I Used A Ninja Foodi Max Aka Ninja Foodi Xl Fyi
How to cook chips in air fryer. Set a mandoline on the thinnest level and carefully cut potato into thin slices. Shaking and flipping after every 5 minutes is necessary to all chips evenly crispy and golden but do not break chips while doing it. Cook the potatoes at 300 degrees for 10 minutes.
Using a dry clean dishcloth or some paper towels or kitchen roll dry the potatoes. Increase the heat to 400 degrees shake the basket to stir the chips and cook for 5 minutes or until potatoes are as crisp as youd like. Cook the apple chips for approximately 10-14 minutes until slightly.
You are either cooking frozen French fries or will be making homemade chips from your raw sweet potatoes. Preheat the air fryer for a couple of minutes otherwise cooking or at least cooking of the first batch is going to take longer. With every air fryer we cook a batch of chips according to the instructions and then another in which we disregard the instructions and stir the chips regularly cooking until they turn golden brown.
Time will vary depending on how thick you cut the chips different air fryer models and how well you like them cooked. On an average preparation time will usually not exceed about five to ten minutes whether or not the chips are frozen or youll make it yourself. Carefully mix everything until the slices are evenly coated.
Place pasta in the air fryer basket in batches and cook for 5 minutes. Chop the potatoes into thin fries. Flip with a spatula and cook for 2 to 3 minutes more.
You May Like: Nuwave Bravo Xl Air Fryer Toaster Oven Reviews
Storing Air Fryer French Fries
French fries are best served fresh out of the air fryer, but if you have some leftovers or want to freeze a batch for later use, follow the simple steps below.
- Refrigerating Leftovers: Place leftover fries in an airtight container and store them in the fridge for up to a week.
- Freezing: Freeze leftover fries by placing them in a single layer on a lined baking sheet. Pop in the freezer. Once completely frozen, transfer them to a freezer-safe plastic bag.
Reheating Tip: Whether youre reheating refrigerated or frozen fries, nothing compares to using the air fryer to return them to a crispy state. Never, ever use a microwave. Your fries will always turn out soggy and inedible.
Tips For Perfect Chips
- Use a mandolin to cut potatoes into perfect 1/8 slices. No mandolin? Use the slice side on a box grater! Or, just slice the potatoes as close to 1/8 as possible, using a sharp chef knife. Some imperfections actually make for crispier and tastier chips, so dont worry too much!
- Soaking chips in cold water prevents discoloration and makes them extra crispy! Soak at least 15 minutes, and use the coldest water possible.
- Make sure slices are as dry as possible before frying, or they may turn out soggy.
- For extra crinkly crunchy potato chips, cook slowly at recommended temperature and power. As individual chips begin to crisp/get slightly brown, remove immediately so they dont burn.
Don’t Miss: Instant Air Fryer Dehydrator